What age do kids start racing BMX?

Anything BMX related, no off topic posts here please

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

What age do kids start racing BMX?

Postby 750Rush » 21 Dec 2012, 23:55

My son is 4 and a half and rides a 12" mongoose in the local skate park and zips up an down our cul-de-sac and take on the rampage ramps we have. Is he ready to join a BMX club, or is he too young? I have built up a few 16" old school mini BMXs for him and am about to get him to make the move from 12" to 16". We live in SW London. Thanks.
750Rush

Re: What age do kids start racing BMX?

Postby ukdelinquent » 22 Dec 2012, 00:01

sounds more than ready! I just bought my 3 yr old daughter a redline micro mini in anticipation :)
Andy O
ukdelinquent

Postby Whipham » 22 Dec 2012, 02:19

We have two 4 year olds that ride at our track both ride 18" Redline micro mini's, hardest park has been getting them on the gate but there both looking to race all the regionals next year
Whipham

Postby mdh » 22 Dec 2012, 08:03

Both my daughters were riding on a track at 3 and had raced a full season of nationals at 4.
mdh

Postby Bikey » 22 Dec 2012, 08:16

Here at Gosport BMX Club around 4 yrs old seems to be the the youngest age that children start to ride and race the track. In 2012 we are going to start "Strider" balance bike sessions/racing so that should see the lowest age drop lower still. You are never too young to start BMX, or to old for that matter as our oldest racing member is currently 65 yrs old.

Matt
Britany Spears are for Ginger Beers...
Bikey

Postby mauriceandgrandad » 22 Dec 2012, 09:00

You can start racing from your 4th birthday, and loads do. The earlier the better!
If it ain't broken, keep fixing it until it is!
http://www.bournemouthbmx.co.uk/
mauriceandgrandad

Postby ChrisCarter » 22 Dec 2012, 10:29

My little girl is seven but unfortunately has absolutely no interest at all in our sport or indeed in anything to do with two wheels. Looks I'll be heading out to the regionals on my own next year for the 40 to 45 class.

As long its something that junior wants to do and not a vicarious indulgence for the parents, then I reckon pretty much any age is the right age to take up BMX in one form or another. Sound's like the OP's little one is already quite an accomplished little rider at 4! I'd say get him to the track - sounds to me like he'd love it!
Team Race Day Video - We've Got You Covered.
ChrisCarter

Postby sancho » 22 Dec 2012, 12:50

My boy started when he was 4 raced till the end of the season when he was 5 then refused flatly to go anywhere near a BMX track ,I think it was too much too young,he had a year off then has came back on his own decision,I can't keep him away now,think he is a trails rider in the making rather than racing,point is don't push them,keep it relaxed as long as they are riding something race/street/trails whatever ,they are learning.
sancho

Postby bully69 » 23 Dec 2012, 09:32

My lad started racing on his 4th birthday..... He has a Haro micro mini with 115mm sinz cranks and a zero stem :lol:
He loves it. Only problem is most of the kids he races against are 6 or 7 ..... A lot bigger. I think if we had a 4-5 age group it would encourage more little dudes to race.
bully69

Postby 750Rush » 23 Dec 2012, 17:45

Thanks for all the comments. I agree with not pushing them and letting them do things at their own pace. The Haro micro seems to be a popular choice of bike. I'll see how he gets on with his 16" bikes and take it from there. Our nearest Track is the new one at Mitcham, SW London.
750Rush

Postby TerrySmith » 23 Dec 2012, 19:08

My daughter is 5 and she will start doing race meetings this year as she wants to be involved. One thing I will say though and this has been touched upon in a previous post, kids at that age are not ready for many things. One is to tell them they must accept to lose. I know for a fact already without even seeing my daughter race that she will find it very hard to accept that she won’t win. In addition to break her in slowly without doubt she will go against older or more experienced kids even if she races novice.

I think the real answer to this post is if your child wants to get on the track no matter the age let them. BUT remember that they will need all the attention and encouragement you can give them or they may get put off by it.

I think kids really start RACING from the age of 7 or 8. Up until this point they are just involved. Of course there are always exceptions.
TerrySmith

Postby bully69 » 25 Dec 2012, 22:37

All kids are different.... My 4 yr old loves riding and racing.... He will finish a race near the back beaming away and wanting to go again.... I saw 7 yr olds last weekend balling their eyes out cos they never won ! It's not about age ....it's about attitude
bully69

Postby imenseintense » 27 Dec 2012, 23:48

As a race referee the rules state that a child can race at the age of 3 years old as long as within that year they turn four. But most kids start racing around 4-5. the youngest age group within all regional in 6 and under.
Ady Rumsey
Bexhill Burners Bmx Club Secretary, www.bexhillburners.com
Army Cycling Union
Charge Clothing
imenseintense

Postby mauriceandgrandad » 28 Dec 2012, 08:40

imenseintense wrote:As a race referee the rules state that a child can race at the age of 3 years old as long as within that year they turn four. But most kids start racing around 4-5. the youngest age group within all regional in 6 and under.

3.1. Age of Participants
A rider must be at least 4 years of age to compete in a BC sanctioned BMX event. The minimum age of 4 refers to the real calendar age on the day of race commencement.

Local rules may be different.
If it ain't broken, keep fixing it until it is!
http://www.bournemouthbmx.co.uk/
mauriceandgrandad

Postby bully69 » 01 Jan 2013, 09:44

Yer... My lad had to wait till he was 4 .... To do with club insurance etc :shock:
bully69

Postby TINY12 » 11 Jan 2013, 15:43

My son is 4 and a half..i have just got him an mini ripper..he loves it, but to be honest Im going to let him get used to his new bike for a month or two (maybe untill the weather gets better) before we go to our local track just becasue a wet cold day, wet bmx track, new bike it a lot for a little person to deal with, but I'm sure he will suprise me!
TINY12

Return to General Discussions