haro pro xl headset rant sise

Mechanical Problems and Product Reviews.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

haro pro xl headset rant sise

Postby theberminator » 15 Jun 2016, 15:37

:roll: hi all wish I hadent brought a 2011/2012 haro pro xl frame to build up with a load of spare bits I had leying about assuming the frame would have a 1 1/8 head set. I got every thing sorted started the build and found the bloody headset isent 1 1/8th ,according to haro its a semi integrated (clique headset) (top bearing 1 1/8th bottom bearing 1/5) type,so as id already gone and brought a new 1 1/8th head set I brought a 1/5 reducer for the bottom cup to reduce from 1/5 back to 1 1/8th and hay presto forks in jobs a good un,i got the 1/5 reducer today went to fit it but its not big enough,so does any body know what sise a haro pro xl headset realy is because haro don't seem to know, a 1 1/8th doesent fit it, or a 1/5 reducer cup, is ther a bigger sise than 1/5th that I don't know about,please help
theberminator

Re: haro pro xl headset rant sise

Postby bigpimp347 » 16 Jun 2016, 13:59

i've had a few Haro 2011 type frames and all have been semi integrated headsets..
they have little cups in the frame which hold the open bearing types, just knock them out and get a semi integrated headset (about £8 posted off ebay)
you fit the new cups and the sealed bearings fit spot on, and you get top cap and star nut also..

if it was a tapered headset you'll notice the size difference just by looking at it..
bigpimp347

Re: haro pro xl headset rant sise

Postby theberminator » 17 Jun 2016, 17:04

hi thanks for the reply will give that a try :D ,it must be the semi integrated bit means ,the bearing cups are quite abit bigger than a normal 1 1/8 head set,the 1 1/8 set I brought for it had a good 5mm differance around the cups in the head tube,i thought the head tube must have been 1/5th, but even a 1/5 reducer insert cup wasent big enough it was about 2mm too small,the bike industry is annoying changing stuff all the time, ther was nothing rong with the good old bog standered 1 1/8 headset type,thought it was just the mtb industry that had turned gay, but it seem thay have started too infected the bmx world in my absence :roll: ,and don't even get me started on them micro drive cassette hubs nothing fits any bloody thing lol :mrgreen:
theberminator

Return to Technical Help