disc brakes on a bmx!!??

Mechanical Problems and Product Reviews.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

disc brakes on a bmx!!??

Postby ezz222 » 24 May 2015, 19:25

Hi I am just wondering if anyone out there is running disc brakes. I am fed up with the inconsistency with my v brake. I have tried new pads, new cables, re-alignment & cleaning of the rim and pad. My brake used to be really powerful and would just stop me instantly but since riding a couple of regionals in the wet the have turned rubbish and can't remedy this.

So who of you out there are running disc? And how have you gone about doing it or has your frame already got disc mounts? Have you had your frame welded/modified or have you just installed a bracket like I have seen on eBay. I'm only really interested in specifics about fitting the calliper to the frame and if you have had any problems with it since the install ( frame cracks, complete failure ect....) . as for hubs I will be going with the new profile disc hub or maybe the halo mx-disc. Photos would be great if possible.

Thanks.
ezz222

Re: disc brakes on a bmx!!??

Postby pikey098 » 25 May 2015, 17:19

Not sure who but some1 had disc brake on at weekend and national in Scotland
pikey098

Postby bigpimp347 » 25 May 2015, 20:36

what up eric :)
chris taylor runs a disk, and i think so did michael gough,
it's legal to do so too..
what's up with your own ?? i have no problems with mine not working, must be down to something simple, as the right cable, and V's and they can be really sharp..
bigpimp347

Postby ezz222 » 26 May 2015, 11:43

My brakes have just turned very weak since Redditch with very little stopping power. I'm currently running box lever,box cable. (new) , xt v-brake, onza ice pads (new) I have also tried shimano pads still no joy. The only time I get close to the braking power I used to have is for about a 1min after I've cleaned the rim. I was just thinking along the lines of disc as they were designed to give you better more consistant braking in pretty much all conditions I.e. rain/mud (as we live in the uk) amongst other things/benefits. To be fair tho I didn't even think about if they are leagal or not. What does bc say about them any one?
ezz222

Postby ezz222 » 26 May 2015, 11:49

Might get brave with the welder Mark lol.
ezz222

Postby bigpimp347 » 26 May 2015, 14:52

BC say they are fine, they also say using gears on a BMX is fine..!!
but they don't allow shoes to be strapped to the pedals but clips are ok.. :roll:

i'm sure if you got hold of an old mountain bike with dick brake and made of alloy you could swap a disk over,
as for breaking,
i use DXR lever and arms or XT lever, i have a shimano cable on one and a savage cheapo linear cable on another,
pads are whatevers on the V's Tektro and shimano both seem to stop well, but make sure the rims are clean as they do seem to dirty quick i've found and not through fault of the brakes but the alloy and a mix of crap, water and whatever makes then seem to powder up..
bigpimp347

Return to Technical Help