BMX races for a 5 year old

Race dates and details. Club info. Practice times.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

BMX races for a 5 year old

Postby ob0508 » 31 May 2014, 18:41

Hi, I have a 5 year old son who has been riding for a while at his local track and is enjoying racing his friends etc. Can anyone please advise me if there are organised races for 5 year olds and, if so, where would I look for them. I have seen the strider / balance bike races advertised etc but he is riding a 20" wheels with a micro frame..

We are in the London area.

Many thanks in advance !
ob0508

Re: BMX races for a 5 year old

Postby monkeymoped » 01 Jun 2014, 10:49

look for local clubs with their own race series on . my 4year old will be doing manchesters next summer for exanple
monkeymoped

Postby MDev71 » 02 Jun 2014, 14:25

Hello Mate,

Milton Keynes are running a summer series on Friday nights, check out the dates on their facebook page "Milton Keynes BMX Racing Club"

A brilliant track for the little ones, we also have a few 5/6 year olds racing regulary....I dont think your going to get a better track, series for a young begginer,

Next meeting is this Friday night, pre reg details can be found on the FB page, however you can reg on the night before 6.30 racing usually starts around 7 and everything wrapped up befor 9, great atmosphere and a fantastically friendly club.....come along and join in, we usually get a good few riders from Hayes who make the jouney

hopefully see you there

Marc Dev
MDev71

Postby ob0508 » 03 Jun 2014, 12:36

Thanks for that Marc, great info. I had a look on the website but it says 13th June is the next event - is that right ? If so I'll bring him down there. Am I right in thinking he doesnt have to be affiliated to a club or hold any memberships to ride in the novice classes ?

Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.
ob0508

Postby 750Rush » 05 Jun 2014, 10:13

Hi, my lad is 5 years old and has raced in the London Summer series events as well as the South Regional races. If you are not in a club it would be beneficial to join one as you you will get lots of advice, nor only about racing but coaching and bike set up too...not to mention meeting loads of like minded people. Feel free to come over to Merton Saints in Mitcham one Saturday morning if you are based in South London.
Racer and BC coach based in London
750Rush

Postby wingman » 09 Jun 2014, 22:22

Hi mate,

we are not from your region but this is our first season of racing as a family.

I have 2 daughters (8 and 4) and we all (including myself) compete in the Midlands regional series.

As with the other guys advice, just get yourself along to see what's what, there will be loads of like-minded people there and plenty of kids the same age that you can pair your own child up with to be shown the ropes.

We go to Midlands and South West based tracks and know plenty of people there just by turning up, saying hello, getting the local kids to ride with mine and that's that, best friends straight away!

Can't think of many other sports where the support for rider progression, no matter age, size, what they are riding, etc is as supportive as it is in this sport!

Cheers,

:-)
wingman

Postby bully69 » 11 Jun 2014, 08:46

Hi
Im from essex and have a 5 year old... we've been racing down at Hersden Club in kent .. near canterbury
They run a class for 5 and unders .. gives them a chance against kids of their own age !
bully69

Postby OldWheels » 12 Jun 2014, 21:04

London Series is a good place to start or club races at places like Hersden. The Hersden track's quite short and not too challenging, so it's good for a novice child while the club members are a friendly bunch. Runnymede is within the M25 so it's in London (sort of) and they have a club race on June 22nd. It's another friendly club with a track that isn't too challenging for a novice.
OldWheels

Postby Miffs » 16 Jun 2014, 11:24

ob0508 & bully69

Braintree have weekly club racing on a Wednesday evening.

Currently the Formula 5 (7 and under) is a small group of 5 and 6 year olds so your kids would fit in well and enjoy some great riding and racing.

Registration open from 6pm and racing starts at about 6.30 / 6.45.

: )
Miffs

Postby bully69 » 16 Jun 2014, 22:33

We have raced at Braintree and it's a great track.... But last year when we did my lad was only 4 and being in 7 and unders was doing his confidence no good at all ... Racing kids who are possibly nearly 8 is never going to be fair at 4 - 5 yrs old.
We went to hersden where they run a 5 and under class and it's been great for him... Being in the mix not at the back all the time has given him a lot of fun and confidence.... They generally have 2 gates of 5 and unders ...it's a busy class... I did suggest to Braintree it may be an idea to run something similar but fell on deaf ears... the new kids coming into the sport are the future.. We need to keep them interested in their early years in my humble opinion.
bully69

Postby MDev71 » 23 Jun 2014, 21:00

ob0508

sorry fella just seen your post...

Yes it was on the 13th.........I have just posted rd 4 info on here.....please feel free to come join us, everyone welcome at team MK!
MDev71

Postby Vyacheslav » 07 Jul 2014, 16:01

Hello I live in Russia accidentally found your forum. I really liked it. My son is 5 years, he has been one year ВМХ RACE. I'm sorry I do not speak very well English. Maybe you will be interested to video competition that took place in the Moscow region children born in 2008 my son came second in the final. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNZXTCYuUQ This video from our channel YouTube. Let's talk sports has no boundaries. :)
Vyacheslav

Postby PhilC » 11 Jul 2014, 22:19

Check out the London BMX website and Facebook pages and you will be able to find a club near you.
www.londonbmx.co.uk and https://www.facebook.com/LondonBMX
PhilC

Return to Race Information