BMX Racing Events Study - Call for Participation

Anything BMX related, no off topic posts here please

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

BMX Racing Events Study - Call for Participation

Postby jefftwin » 23 Apr 2015, 18:12

Would you like BMX racing events change or improve? By taking part in this study you will be doing just that!

What is the study about?

The study investigates the construction of event meaning and aims at understanding the experiences of riders, spectators and volunteers.

How will the study benefit BMX racing?

The study results will help improve the planning, promotion and running of future events in a way that responds more effectively to the needs of riders, spectators and participants.

How can you help?

In one of these two ways:

1. An interview, no longer than an hour, at the track on race day with possible follow-up meeting. You will be asked to take pictures to illustrate your answers and explain them in the follow-up meeting. Interview date to be agreed between researcher and participant.

2. By answering a short online questionnaire to be available soon. You will be sent notification via email. I will post updates here too.

Detailed participant information can be found on the research website: https://bmxresearch.wordpress.com/participant-information/.

The study is ethically approved, does not involve personal data collection and is confidential. The study is being conducted towards a doctoral degree award with the University of Hertfordshire.

How can I learn more about the study?

Check out the research website to learn more https://bmxresearch.wordpress.com/about/.

How do I register my interest?

If you would like to take part, send me an email jeffpapis@gmail.com and I will contact you. A pilot study will take place in the next few months with the full study planned for 2016.

Your email and personal information will not be included in the study and will be kept confidential.

Many thanks,

Jeff
Last edited by jefftwin on 24 Apr 2015, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
jefftwin

Re: BMX Racing Events Study - Call for Participation

Postby bigpimp347 » 24 Apr 2015, 08:05

what will this study achieve ??
is it just a way for a few people to slag off clubs and the way certain areas of a meeting displease that person ?
could it be used by one person to complain about one club or one track or one person ??

we know there's a lot of problems within BMX and BC regarding BMX so it seems with recent comments and threads on facebook and here,
so is a 'research study' going to be a good thing or just a way to make things worse ??
bigpimp347

Postby ChrisCarter » 24 Apr 2015, 08:09

You won't get much of a cross-section of views if you need people for a whole hour on race day! Race days are busy enough for those without kids, let alone those who have to co-ordinate their junior pilots' race schedules.
Team Race Day Video - We've Got You Covered.
ChrisCarter

Postby jefftwin » 24 Apr 2015, 11:31

Hi ChrisCarter and bigpimp347,

Whether individuals will make good use of the findings or indeed what kind of use they will put the findings to is a question no researcher can answer. Academic research can give everyone something to think about; something that has been found out with academic rigour and, as a result, more reliable than not. They might complain about this and that, but don't you think they would have stronger arguments to make changes if those arguments were supported by facts and figures other than the personal opinion of a few dissatisfied participants? I see value in academic research and that's why I'm doing it.

I agree. I should have said no longer than one hour. Besides, the interview can take place after the race or when there's a break in-between rounds. The pilot study should clarify that issue.

Would both of you like to take part in the research? No need to answer here, just send me an email.

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS I got the two of you mixed up I think, so I am replying to you both in the same post. :)
Last edited by jefftwin on 24 Apr 2015, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
jefftwin

Postby bigpimp347 » 24 Apr 2015, 12:22

i have a lot of ideas clubs could consider, it's just finding someone that's willing to listen,
which can be hard when a club is stuck in routine and rut and doesn't want change..

you might need to edit your post as i think you replied to the wrong person :)
bigpimp347

Postby jefftwin » 24 Apr 2015, 13:11

bigpimp347 wrote:i have a lot of ideas clubs could consider, it's just finding someone that's willing to listen,
which can be hard when a club is stuck in routine and rut and doesn't want change..

you might need to edit your post as i think you replied to the wrong person :)

I have edited it, thanks. I got the two mixed up :)

I'd be really interested in your views. Do send me an email!

Cheers,

Jeff
jefftwin

Postby jefftwin » 14 May 2015, 10:59

BMX Study Quick Update

1. Final stages of methodology

2. Requesting ethical approval to add prize draw (bike or £450 equivalent and other prizes) as reward for participation. Will keep you posted!

2. Pilot study should hopefully take place at two or more of the following races (pending permission):

14/06 Round 3 Greenwich London Series
20/06 British BMX Championship Peckham
20/09 Round 5 Brixton London Series
06/10 London Champs and Round 6 Velopark

3. Currently updating research website (just not enough hours in the day, you know... work gets in the way :)

Many thanks to all of those who got in touch and expressed an interest in getting involved. If you haven't been in touch, please do. Also, check the study website http://bmxresearch.wordpress.com

All the best,

Jeff
jefftwin

Postby bigpimp347 » 14 May 2015, 15:21

not had time to reply,
i don't do southern round so chance to meet up is not going to happen..
email me the questionnaire and i can do it :)
bigpimp347

Postby Humps00 » 15 May 2015, 06:32

Has this study been commissioned by British Cycling?? I'm in Cornwall so would you have researchers in this neck of the woods to hear the problems associated with being at the rump end of the country where there is only one track for c100 miles. Or are you primarily interested in the London area where the place is awash with tracks and clubs?? Willing to complete your questionnaire but would want to know that you have an interested audience first. Alan H
Alan Humphrey - Secretary of Cornwall BMX Racing Club
Supporting Dialled Bikes
Humps00

Postby jefftwin » 18 May 2015, 16:56

bigpimp347 wrote:not had time to reply,
i don't do southern round so chance to meet up is not going to happen..
email me the questionnaire and i can do it :)

Hi Bigpimp347,

The questionnaire will be available online once it's ready. I'm only doing the pilot study now to make sure everything is working fine and that the questionnaire is good enough to go out. I'm hoping to collect data at various races, not just in the south region or London, so we might meet at one of the races. And yes, you are wanted as a participant!

I'll keep you posted!

Jeff
jefftwin

Postby jefftwin » 18 May 2015, 17:03

Humps00 wrote:Has this study been commissioned by British Cycling?? I'm in Cornwall so would you have researchers in this neck of the woods to hear the problems associated with being at the rump end of the country where there is only one track for c100 miles. Or are you primarily interested in the London area where the place is awash with tracks and clubs?? Willing to complete your questionnaire but would want to know that you have an interested audience first. Alan H

Hy Humps00,

Sorry for the late reply. No, the study has not been commissioned by British Cycling. I'd like to hear your thoughts on BMX racing together with all participants from all over the country, not just London. The pilot study will do done here for convenience. I'm looking for organisers and riders for the interviews, but everyone can answer the questionnaires when they become available. If you email me, we can discuss this further. jeffpapis@me.com

Cheers,

Jeff
jefftwin

Re: BMX Racing Events Study - Interview Candidates Needed!

Postby jefftwin » 06 Jul 2016, 11:17

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long silence (life (and the research got in the way :)! I'm now ready to start doing interviews for the BMX racing research and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help.

I'm looking for three riders, three organisers and three spectators (who do not ride or organise events) for an interview. You must be over 18. Any level of involvement is good, but ideally taking part or organising events at regional or national levels.The interview is anonymous and no personal data needed. My ethical approval only allows me to collect data at the track on race days so we should meet on race day. I'm flexible, but ideally looking for participants attending one of the events below:

British Championships Sat/Sun, 27/28th August - Derby
Club Champs Sunday, 11 Sept - Hayes
London BMX Series Sat, 8 Oct - London Champs@ Velopark

If you want to know more about the interview or the research, please check the research blog http://www.bmxresearch.wordpress.com You'll find a participant info sheet with all details there.

Please get in touch if you can help.

Best wishes,

Jeff
jefftwin

Postby jefftwin » 07 Jul 2016, 08:59

jefftwin wrote:Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long silence (life (and the research got in the way :)! I'm now ready to start doing interviews for the BMX racing research and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help.

I'm looking for three riders, three organisers and three spectators (who do not ride or organise events) for an interview. You must be over 18. Any level of involvement is good, but ideally taking part or organising events at regional or national levels.The interview is anonymous and no personal data needed. My ethical approval only allows me to collect data at the track on race days so we should meet on race day. I'm flexible, but ideally looking for participants attending one of the events below:

If you want to know more about the interview or the research, please check the research blog http://www.bmxresearch.wordpress.com You'll find a participant info sheet with all details there.

Best wishes,

Jeff
jefftwin

Postby jefftwin » 10 Jul 2016, 12:13

jefftwin wrote:
jefftwin wrote:Hi Guys,

Best wishes,

Jeff
jefftwin

Return to General Discussions