Started, now would like to progress. Mid life noob.

Anything BMX related, no off topic posts here please

Moderators: Crooch, billstup, Super Moderators

Re: Started, now would like to progress. Mid life noob.

Postby pkripper1969 » 27 Nov 2014, 09:47

I bought this book from USA. Postage made it pricey but it really is an outstanding book and worth every cent. Great illustrations and explanations

http://www.probmxskills.com/

You'll get an idea of its content via Google images

https://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-G ... d=0CCAQsAQ
pkripper1969

Postby EDBANGER » 30 Nov 2014, 20:20

Yeah, I've seen that book. You can actually download as an E-book now too. Might consider it.

Well since my last post I've got myself a new bike. The Factory Intense that was being sold by Mr Wallace on here and I got myself down the track for a couple of hours on Saturday. Pleased to say that I have now nailed the full pump lap :D After I got it the first time I found I could just do it every time. I was well pleased with myself. I'm hoping that it was the development of my own skill and not just the improved spec bike?? So now it's time to move onto the trickier stuff I suppose which would be jumps and manuals. I've decided that the table top on the second straight is where I'll start my jump campaign. Not sure about where to begin the manuals yet though.
EDBANGER

Postby myles » 30 Nov 2014, 20:24

Well done that man 8)
The bike will just bring out the best in you.

I competed in my first races in the London Floodlight series, last night.
All the style I've been working on went out the window lol
I raced ugly, but survived to tell the tale :twisted:
myles

Postby EDBANGER » 30 Nov 2014, 22:06

Fair play dude. Most impressive. You made it out the gate and across the line so that's all that matters. I did a gate the other day too from which I actually pedalled. The balancing isn't an issue I've just got to get used to the whole gate disappearing thing. :D
EDBANGER

Postby fasy » 02 Dec 2014, 12:34

It will always be down to the development of your skills, the bike will just make it easier or harder to then pull of the skills.
Table tops are always a good place to start jumping. You could also try manualing across the table top or finding the smallest set of doubles or even the first part of a triple. Pump manual or manual pump are good for triples. Pump tracks are usually the best place to dial down you skill. The jumps are a lot smaller with lots of variation.
fasy
Brixton Bmx Club
fasy

Postby tigerdad » 05 Dec 2014, 13:47

fasy wrote:Pump tracks are usually the best place to dial down you skill. The jumps are a lot smaller with lots of variation.

Are there any in London you could recommend? I think there's one in Mile End but not sure if you can just turn up and ride it.

edit: apologies for hijacking the thread. :oops:
tigerdad

Postby myles » 05 Dec 2014, 14:46

Hammersmith, Wormwood Scrubs has a brilliant pump track 8)
myles

Postby EDBANGER » 05 Dec 2014, 18:59

I'm actually in talks with my council about having a pump track built near my home in Solihull. There is a pathetic attempt at a BMX track in Jubliee Park that is basically a dirt track with two lumps in. This is good news for us though as the land is already designated as a "BMX Track". Therefore we are merely developing it. So far me and another couple of chaps have arranged designs and quotes from C&K and Maxtrax. I'll be going for a second meeting with the council in the coming weeks to discuss the funding streams. They're being extremely positive about it and are saying that the funding will be available. To say I'm excited is an understatement. So here is a good oppourunity to get you all to like the facebook page.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solihull ... 0290758513

The designs are all on there but this one from Maxtrax looks so awesome I'm just gonna post it up here too.
Attachments
Solihull7.jpg
EDBANGER

Postby tigerdad » 05 Dec 2014, 21:16

Good luck dude. It would be a great achievement for a mid life noob to get a track like that built! Hope it comes off.

Myles, thanks for the tip. The Hammersmith track looks good. :)
tigerdad

Postby fasy » 07 Dec 2014, 19:41

Good pump tracks in london are hammersmith, Hackney.
Theres also one in Brent which is good and a little pump track in Ealing.
Try the www.londonbmx.co.uk for list of all tracks.
fasy
Brixton Bmx Club
fasy

Postby nozzer » 25 Feb 2015, 14:40

Great thread, very informative. Want to race this year so lots to learn again. Good thing is, age isnt a barrier. Just as well!
nozzer

Postby 750Rush » 27 Feb 2015, 20:03

100psi
Racer and BC coach based in London
750Rush

Postby Packer » 20 Apr 2015, 10:37

I'm a bit late to seeing this thread but it looks like a good one to keep going.

I am in the same boat too - late thirties and new to the sport. Previously was into mountain bikes but I have a young family now so no time for that at the moment and BMX seems like a great way to get the kids into bikes.

I don't have any advice to add yet but i'm getting the hang of pumping and my aim is to get manuals worked out, which seems like an achievable goal I hope. I'll worry about jumping later!
I'm riding at Brixton track mainly and hoping to start racing this year with my son so hopefully see some of you on the gate soon...
Packer

Postby Avantimerider » 19 May 2015, 16:44

Yes this has ben a great post to follow. I bought my cruiser last year at 44 and have been to tracks in Sheffield and Chesterfield with my now 5 year old. Was out only last Sunday and managed to get him round. Love going down the park with him as well. HOWEVER following Monday I snapped my Achilles tendon!!!! Now post op, wondering if i'll ever get back on my BMX again. Totally bummed out. Any seasoned riders with bad injury's get back into it?
Avantimerider

Postby LeeroySilk » 19 May 2015, 20:37

Avantimerider wrote:HOWEVER following Monday I snapped my Achilles tendon!!!! Now post op, wondering if i'll ever get back on my BMX again. Totally bummed out. Any seasoned riders with bad injury's get back into it?

You will ride again...
It really is as simple as that. Even if it means wheeling round the park and scooting your bike along with your good leg, you're still riding. That's the absolute worst case scenario. The best and most likely if you're determined enough is to get back to the stage you are at now or better.
Honestly, I've heard too many stories of people getting injured and never riding again, the reason they didn't ride was because they chose not to, they gave up.

Rest well and as soon as you feel up to it have a roll around. :D
LeeroySilk

Postby Avantimerider » 20 May 2015, 08:56

Ahh good man!!! encouragement working already. Hard not to feel a bit blue with an injury like this. Told my son I'll be down the park in a matter of weeks. :D
Avantimerider

Postby tigerdad » 20 May 2015, 19:41

Avantimerider wrote:HOWEVER following Monday I snapped my Achilles tendon!!!! Now post op, wondering if i'll ever get back on my BMX again. Totally bummed out. Any seasoned riders with bad injury's get back into it?

What happened? Were you riding hard?

Had sore achilles but fortunately not snapped it yet. This has got me worried. :(
tigerdad

Postby Avantimerider » 20 May 2015, 20:42

Yes, you would think that. I'm typical of a certain type of active Dad in his 40's (don't know how that happened either) Called a "weekend warrior" by a doctor! I run, cycle, dink beer and always on the go. I also have a fairly good stretching regime and in reasonable shape. BUT I have this curious car called a Renault Avantime (hence username) which is all plastic and glass but still weighs getting on for 1800Kg. Declared SORN for 6 months of year and getting ready for it's MOT. Dead battery, pushed to jump start off my drive. Car not shifting, massive stretch..... TAWNG!!!!!!!!! Very common way of doing it i'm told, second after sports. So in cast for a while, no driving for 6 weeks min and a fair bit of rehab and the thought of re-rupture an alarming prospect.

If your tendon is playing up, you could have "tendonitis". I would find a decent sports physio and get some advice as its a shit injury. The muscle stretches but your tendon doesn't, so any explosive sport can cause an issue or I'd never had a twinge so it was the last thing I was expecting.

Out of all the cycling I do, going out on the BMX is the simplest, purest and most fun. At first I thought i'd be reliving some lost youth like I think a lot of guys do, judging by the amount of almost new cruisers on ebay that sometimes appear. But I've enjoyed building the bike and only the day before the incident fitted a Thomson Elite setback seat post. LeeRoySilk's positivity helped and today I've been looking at the new Hutch frames, thinking that's next. In Sheffield though the scene seems pretty dead and I don't know of any other guys on Cruisers. So i'll get back on and enjoy the hobby that helps me focus the mind and a five mile bike ride I do locally helps keeps the beer knockers at bay!!!!

Sorry for long post but I got a time on my hands for a week or two.
Avantimerider

Postby tigerdad » 22 May 2015, 18:27

Ah. I got a bit of tendonitis when I started riding a regular bike again a couple of years ago. If you get a "a bit" of tendonitis. Some rest and stretching seemed to clear it up. I think I maybe aggravated it working on a car too, stretching to undo a pulley nut on my camper. :oops:
tigerdad

Postby Avantimerider » 10 May 2016, 21:02

So a year yesterday I snapped my tendon (re previous post) Been back out on cruiser and mountain bike for a while now. Also bought a new BMX, so all in all not so bad. Given up running, just the bikes from now on.
Avantimerider

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions