Hounslow Track R.I.P.

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Re: Hounslow Track R.I.P.

Postby twist » 29 Dec 2009, 21:23

Why did you pick that one of me Luke.....lol

Tony
twist

Postby martinparker » 30 Dec 2009, 08:57

loving seeing the old pictures again,
cheers Luke
Mad Mart
martinparker

Postby Leealexander » 30 Dec 2009, 21:13

alright boyz? thanks Luke for the memories oh to be young again lol oh yeah I am young again especially when I am hitting a bhig set of doubles!!

see you all at a track near you soon
Leealexander

Postby Hemel rad rider » 01 Jan 2010, 23:02

Awesome pic's, bought back some great memories !! :D
Hemel rad rider

Postby Luke » 26 Apr 2010, 18:43

New generation! Sure I saw Tommy Parker make an A main, round 2 at Cheddar at the weekend. Well done mate, that's a stacked age group.

Results show no sign of his Dad racing though.... Good to see Tony T reserving his national appearances for one of the knarliest tracks on the circuit - fair play, Tone. 8)
Luke

Postby twist » 26 Apr 2010, 20:12

Went down in the b-final luke, broken arm, broken bone in hand and 2 ribs so not my best days racing :(
twist

Postby martinparker » 27 Apr 2010, 13:16

Luke, didn't race mate, just loved watching my two boys race, be racing at Derby national, it'll be my first national since about '88.
martinparker

Postby martinparker » 27 Apr 2010, 13:18

Tony, does that mean your out for Hayes regional? :lol:
Hope you heal very quick mate.
M
martinparker

Postby jumpingjohn » 27 Apr 2010, 20:34

Hi all,

Sorry to hear your hurt Tony, Get better soon Mate!!!!!

Go Tommy Go 8)
jumpingjohn

Postby Leealexander » 28 Apr 2010, 20:45

twist wrote:Went down in the b-final luke, broken arm, broken bone in hand and 2 ribs so not my best days racing :(

Thats well harsh tony Cheddar is sooooooo unforgiving

keep ya chin up!!
Leealexander

Postby cyclist » 29 Apr 2010, 17:32

twist wrote:Went down in the b-final luke, broken arm, broken bone in hand and 2 ribs so not my best days racing :(

Sorry to hear that Tony. :(
I didn't know that happened. Only saw the 2nd half of your race.
Get well soon. :P
cyclist

Postby twist » 29 Apr 2010, 18:04

Was looking out for you at cheddar lee, heard you was unwell, hope your feeling better

I got operation on me arm tuesday :?

cheers guys :D
twist

Postby iankimpton » 30 Apr 2010, 22:03

I haven't been on here for a while and as soon as I do it's all broken bones.
Sorry to hear you got busted up Tony. I hope the crash was spectacular as somehow I think that makes it feel better.

As I used to say BITD - "there'll be tears" - it was usually aimed at Martin and John but i'm impressed that 25+ years later, you are continuing a long tradition.
Hope you heal quickly, have no pain, get some sympathy somewhere and that people (usually those who have never bmx-ed) don't give you too hard a time for falling off your kiddie bike.
iankimpton

Postby Luke » 01 May 2010, 11:05

Jeez Tony, hardcore....Were attempting to clear the third straight at the time?

Heal soon, buddy. Hope to catch up with you all at some point this season.
Luke

Postby twist » 01 May 2010, 17:37

First striaght crash luke :(

luke and Ian get on facebook for the latest news on the hounslow mobs racing, lots of pics on my page :)
twist

Postby alexxxturner » 19 Aug 2010, 19:51

Hi everyone, I'm a bit late but, Wow, a whole part of my life I has now been been documented, it's stunning.

Very sad to hear about Dave Turner, a character with the coolest of temperaments and his tabletops were second to none. He is someone I have always wanted to bump into since those days. I'll never forget one day when he arrived at the track wheelying without pedalling at all, just feathering the brake down through the gate and all the way down the entrance road! The last time I saw him I was riding through Old Isleworth and this motobike came the other way and then actually hopped on to the pavement and blocked my path, I screeched to a halt astonished, then rider then took his helmet off and revealed himself with a big smile, Dave!

Nice one Ian for taking, keeping and posting all those smashing photos, it really makes those days come alive.

That photo of me at Earls court...I'm just so excited, I remember buying my first ever can of coke, it was 50p Rip off!

Although I jumped ship to skateboard in about '85/86 for a few years, the spirit of those glorious days has never left me, the of long summer days and evenings hanging around at the track are fantastic memories. Buying sugary bites under the gaze of Hawkeye, day trips traveling the whole of the district District line to Rom and then winding up the station guy. Convoying en mass to Teddington bowl and Sheen Common was great, just wish my back wheel was not so buckled half the time. The Wimbourne racing meet with about 6 out us in the back of DC's Volvo and my bike only scraping past scrutineering! are some of my favourites. Braking my collerbone on the big hill in Richmond Park on the day of Live Aid will never leave me either, I won't be taking my brake quick realease off for a laugh any more, that'll learn me.

I bumped into Lawrence (Neil Butlers mate) in Cornwall when I was 16 and soon after had kind of 'right of passage'-'sans parents' camping holiday with him soon after in Newquay.

Will try and get Stef on board, I kept in contact with him and John Shebasnia untill the mid ninetys and have mobile number for Stef, I know he would be chuffed to see all those photos. Maybe get this thread going again.

I too have some photos that I have been hanging on to for dear life for the last 20 odd years, which I definately get scanned and post...As you all can remember landing jumps was not my forte, eg Somersaulting a whole car at West Mid Hospital - (didn't have far to go to A&E though!, put a nice hole in my shin, that fountained blood when I squeezed my calf amusing Dave and Arnie). With that in mind I took up river jumping with passion, I have a photo of a mammoth river jump over the towpath at Richmond bridge. There is also a nice flat flat tabletop river jump photo on the front of the Richmond and Twickenham Times in about '84/5 that I'll try and dig out. (The editor was not ammused, warning of some nasty deseies that supposedly lurked in the river)

All in all it's amazing to here and see from you all, the behind the scenes stuff of the way the track was built and stuff is a testament to the good will of of a few. DC's account has me flabbergasted as to how things happened, if it wearn't for their combination of boldness/tenacity and genourosity of time we would not of had the track. I do hope Danny has seen the thread.

I have never been without a bmx since and have occasionally visited the track from time to time, (not failing to buy a can of pop from Sanco) as well as Stockwell skatepark for a bit of a carve. I jumped up to a 24" cruiser in '96 (with flights no less!). And even when I bought a mountain bike in 2002 I couldn't stop myself making it into a 26" cruiser with redline bars and profiles 185s. It a bit of a coincidence to me that I got pointed to this board just as I had finished building latest bike (5th bike bmx since my first awful bendy red giant). It's an all stickerless chrome 1980 Mongoose 26" Kos Kruiser, I bought the frame in California. It's the nicest bike I have ever owned. I'm just about to take to to my local track (Shoreham) and may even re-pose a photo I have of me there in '83, for a bit of then and now effect.

It's also nice that this thread has not turned into a 'friends reunited comparison chart' style of board, it's just pure remenicing nice one.

Martin, last time I saw you were flying off the last berm heading in the direction of the air raid bunker frame whipping away, did it ever happen?

All the very best too you all

Alex Turner
alexxxturner

Postby martinparker » 27 Aug 2010, 11:30

Hello Alex, I've just had a look back through his thread, good times.
Good to hear from you, and yes it did happen, might even give it ago again some day.
That big hill in Richmond was just insane, I think it was Jumping John that un-clipped his brakes, never have I seen some one go that fast down hill.

Mad Mart
martinparker

Postby iankimpton » 28 Aug 2010, 20:56

Hi Alex

Good to see you found us.

I think Steve Bapuji also did the brake off downhill run on the chrome quad. Didn't someone go right across the grass, past the playground and into the fence?
iankimpton

Postby alexxxturner » 24 Sep 2010, 17:45

I knew it would take some digging out, but I thought I go to Richmond Library to look at the microfilms, and lo and behold, I found the front cover of the Richmond and Twickenham times that had the river jumping 'feature'! Funny, the librarian said to me 'I guess you would not want you kids doing this', I said 'Erm, Well, I would positively encourage them', It did stumped her a little.

The jump in the colour photo is just 50 yards upstream of Richmond bridge.
Attachments
R0015666.JPG
R0015667.JPG
alexxxturner

Postby alexxxturner » 24 Sep 2010, 17:49

Hopefully this will be the right way up
Attachments
R0015666.JPG
alexxxturner

PreviousNext

Return to Old Skool