Riders in North East Region 81-87

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Riders in North East Region 81-87

Postby HowardN » 01 Dec 2009, 11:34

Hi there just found this forum after a bit of looking back at some old pics, just wondering if any riders i used to race with are on here?
looking at a few threads i remember Paul Gray very well, a year or two older than me and a lot faster too (got a great pic of you actually at a Teeside national jumping the doubles elbow to elbow with Andy Ruffell.)
Lots of other names too, many well out of my league like Dale Holmes and Anthony Howells, however im sure i beat Dale Holmes to the first corner at a final in Redcar once "my claim to fame" only saw his dust for the rest of the track tho :oops: :oops: :oops:
I did ok regionally racing with Steve Johnson, Jason Caddick and Jonny Alexander to name but a few.
I raced on the UKBMX scene more than the NBMX and did a few nationals.
I stopped racing in 86/87 after finishing second in the regional series to Steve Johnson, wish i had kept going.
How long did it all last for around this area after that? Tracks like Teeside, Faverdale, Barny Castle and Hartlepool also Powder Monkey in Shiremoor and places like that.
Still riding bikes tho been very into Mountain bikes since 92 doing Enduro racing and stuff.
so say hello if ya remember me.
Ta Howard Nash
HowardN

Re: Riders in North East Region 81-87

Postby pbutler » 04 Dec 2009, 12:57

Howard, Peter Butler here. I'm sure I remember you from BITD. I raced in the age group below you.

Are you stilling living in the North East. You should have a ride down to hartlepools track. It's located at summerhill country park.

There are few of us that you'll probably remember, Allan Johnson, Steve Noble, Russ Hardy.

They have a club coaching session on a Saturday morning 10-12am.

Get yourself down.
pbutler

Postby mat8n » 08 Dec 2009, 23:41

hello its Matt Ayton here, i used to ride against you peter back then, when was it? 85-86ish? cant remember that far back!
i packed racing in after a tosser from scotland had to win by cheating and took all the fun out of it!
got back into into the new skool stuff about 10 years ago but broke my wrist and changed jobs so have fairly recently stopped again.
i'm living at billingham now and did go to the hartlepool track while it was being built, love to have a rce again! any where i can get info from?

good to see all the old names!

Matt
mat8n

Postby pbutler » 09 Dec 2009, 12:46

Matt,

I Remember you, don't think we raced each other that often, I did UKBMX.
There's a club website for Hartlepool (NEBMX) http://northeastbmx.proboards.com/index.cgi?
They met every Saturday 10-12am
Have a look down. It's at summerhill counrty park.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpMk0LbyH0
pbutler

Postby HowardN » 17 Dec 2009, 15:00

Hi Peter, yeah i remember , i looked the Teeside Video you posted and your name rang bells, Did your dad used to do the gate at Darlington, and for some reason i picture you racing in the Blue and Green Darlo strip that Jason Caddick from my age group used to wear, could be wrong though.
Yeah i still live in the North East and still have all my bikes and racing kit i used to wear..

Howard
HowardN

Postby pbutler » 17 Dec 2009, 17:15

Howard, I think you have the wrong person. My cousin, Jane Lewis, Her dad used to do gates but not at Darlington. All over the country, Regionals and Nationals.
My dad ran UKBMX in the North East from Around 1982/3 to 1987 which is when I packed it all in.
I raced in A Mark White Racing top for the last few years on a MRD bike.

Peter
pbutler

Postby HowardN » 17 Dec 2009, 18:13

Peter i defineatly remember your name obviously mixed up with the colours and the gate part. :oops: :oops:
I raced nearly always UKBMX up to 86/87...when i also packed in...
Did the Darlington summer night time series and loads of regionals.
HowardN

Postby neilboro » 19 Dec 2009, 13:24

i(neil armstrong) used to race for darlo in the green and blue but later on i raced for cw support i remember you used to race mostly nbmxa
neilboro

Postby jonpaul11 » 31 Dec 2009, 22:53

Hi Howard - I used to race the same age group and remember your name... I'm Jon McCutcheon.

The only pic from bitd I have to post is of Barny, I'm behind Jay Paker who is leading on his green Quad (he posted this pic over on Radbmx.co.uk). I think Jason Caddick is number 4 on the left. I have a feeling the pic is when I was in the 13's so would have been 84 - might be a year out. Highest ranking I got in the region was 5. I rode both NBMXA and UKBMX. I don't remember the name of Steve Johnson, I do remember Jonny Alexander who was on Church Street Cycles Black and Yellow Tops (I think...) Other names from our group I remember are Lee Malarky who was fast as **** and number 1 for a few years, Sean Rose and a couple more.

I remember staying on after a race one time at Darlo and jumping the flyover first jump thing with you, you were messing around doing 1 handed jumps... can't remember what bike you rode though. I used to hang around with Clarts his brother Lee and others from Leam Lane like Neil Robinson.

My home tracks were Windy Nook and Whickham Thorns, I gave up racing the same year as you I think. I left Gateshead in the early 90's and lived in London for 14 years, now living and working out of Gibraltar. Always kept a BMX though, went from my MRD to a Schwinn to a Hoffman Flash and currently I have an S&M Neil Wood. I still have my old MRD at my folks home which I should restore one day.

got any old pics to post?

jon
jonpaul11

Postby DexDexter » 12 Jan 2010, 11:07

Now then.

I rode year below Peter Buttler in 83-85ish.

Just been back into the sport for a year now. Found a few old pics too:

Alistair Burton

==========

First the disclaimer...

My dad didn't have a very good camera, he wasn't a good photographer and he didn't take many pictures.

So this is it - everything I have from BITD broken down into Teesside Airport, Herlingshaw Indoor Racing, other North East tracks, My Randoms.

If you spot yourself, let me know.

:)

Teeside Airport

Me jumping the doubles at Teesside.

My sister having a go.

?

?

?

?

Marc Thompson.

?

?

?

?

Me on the pyramid.

?

Me again on the pyramid.

?

?

?

Tim March? at Teesside National

?

?

?

?

Me again - pyramid.

?

?

?

Herlingshaw Indoor Racing

?

?

Me after a moto.

?

Me winning a moto.

On the start gate.

?

Back of the gate.

?

Other North East

Margrove Park - Guisbrough (Magra) - Me and Marc Thompson.

I think... Magra and Allan Johnson?

Start gate at Magra - me and Marc Thompson. I remember we were killing each other that day in the Motos - his Dad was going mental. I took the win that day.

Southbank?

Me at Magra??

Ha ha - Rufforth? A god awful indoor race in a horse training school on soft dung with no berms!! :LolLolLolLol:

Randoms

The highs! Check out Tim March's autographed card on the wall.

The lows.

Where it started.

DexDexter

Postby paulgray » 12 May 2010, 18:56

Hi Howard, the early 80's was a great time to be kid with a BMX and I for one loved every minute of it. I met loads of good people and made many friends through the sport, I stopped racing in 89 when I was 21, then I did a few mountain bike races and used to overtake every one on the downhills but then they'd get me back on the uphills, a good sport but I've always been a sprinter, no good at the long distance stuff. I've been to watch a few times at the new Hartlepool track and the Old School BMX racing is great fun, if you go and watch I'll bet your tempted to have a go and relive the good times. Anyway I'd love to see that picture of me and Ruff jumping the Teeside doubles :D and any other old photo's from BITD.

All the best Paul
paulgray

Postby paulsturrock » 13 May 2010, 08:05

paulgray wrote:Hi Howard, the early 80's was a great time to be kid with a BMX and I for one loved every minute of it. I met loads of good people and made many friends through the sport, I stopped racing in 89 when I was 21, then I did a few mountain bike races and used to overtake every one on the downhills but then they'd get me back on the uphills, a good sport but I've always been a sprinter, no good at the long distance stuff. I've been to watch a few times at the new Hartlepool track and the Old School BMX racing is great fun, if you go and watch I'll bet your tempted to have a go and relive the good times. Anyway I'd love to see that picture of me and Ruff jumping the Teeside doubles :D and any other old photo's from BITD.

All the best Paul

Hi i raced between those yrs in the age group below Paul G , mainly nbmxa north east an Y&H , stop racing when i stop having fun {early 20's} and when the knees where shot lol .
I also like Paul g after a few yrs without a bike went into MTB did a few races , but i loved the uphills ..lol i have also been to the track at hartlepool alot over the last few months with the 2nd generation of sturrock's starting bmx racing my son Andrew paul has a gt and is doing his first race in the novices at Preston on the 23 rd of may.
Likw Paul says once bmx is in the blood it stays ...hence why im now looking for a cruiser to mess about on with Andrew paul down at Hartlepool.
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
paulsturrock

Postby paulgray » 13 May 2010, 20:07

DexDexter wrote:Now then.

I rode year below Peter Buttler in 83-85ish.

Just been back into the sport for a year now. Found a few old pics too:

Alistair Burton

==========

First the disclaimer...

My dad didn't have a very good camera, he wasn't a good photographer and he didn't take many pictures.

So this is it - everything I have from BITD broken down into Teesside Airport, Herlingshaw Indoor Racing, other North East tracks, My Randoms.

If you spot yourself, let me know.

:)

Teeside Airport

?

Hi Alister,

I'm pretty sure thats John Tucker on the right and possibly John Vile on the Hutch.

The lows.

Now I remember the young lad in this photo, but I wouldn't have been able to name you :lol:
paulgray

Postby HowardN » 14 May 2010, 09:03

Hi Jon,
I remember you very well, How ya doing...?
Yip Thats defineatley J Caddick No 4, I remember all those names Ja Parker ,Lee Clarts..Arrrghhh nostalgia eh....great stuff.

I still have my two last BMX's Had a Supergoose 3 then a Rickman Racing later on.
I think i may have some pics from that time when we where messing about, gonna have to get that shoe box full of photo's out again.... :D :D :D
Im still riding and racing but its MTb now, ride every day to work and go out with this lot.. http://www.beamishoddsox.co.uk/

Thats me Front far right...

PaulG,
I will get that pic to you just left a PM...gonna get some scanning done and post up a few.....Arrgghhhh Happy days Eh

Howard
HowardN

Postby paulgray » 15 May 2010, 18:47

jonpaul11 wrote:Hi Howard - I used to race the same age group and remember your name... I'm Jon McCutcheon.

The only pic from bitd I have to post is of Barny, I'm behind Jay Paker who is leading on his green Quad (he posted this pic over on Radbmx.co.uk). I think Jason Caddick is number 4 on the left. I have a feeling the pic is when I was in the 13's so would have been 84 - might be a year out. Highest ranking I got in the region was 5. I rode both NBMXA and UKBMX. I don't remember the name of Steve Johnson, I do remember Jonny Alexander who was on Church Street Cycles Black and Yellow Tops (I think...) Other names from our group I remember are Lee Malarky who was fast as **** and number 1 for a few years, Sean Rose and a couple more.

jon

Maybe Howard is thinking of Steve Robinson from Guisborough?
paulgray

Postby neilboro » 16 May 2010, 07:43

pau you dont happen to have any videos of northallerton do you?
cheers
neilboro

Postby paulgray » 16 May 2010, 15:40

neilboro wrote:pau you dont happen to have any videos of northallerton do you?
cheers

I'm afraid not, if fact I can't remember seeing any photos or videos of Northallerton, there must be some out there in peoples photo albums and we need them!

Who rode for Northallerton?

I'll start the list with Roy Barker.
paulgray

Postby paulsturrock » 16 May 2010, 18:19

Karen Lingley
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
paulsturrock

Postby paulgray » 16 May 2010, 19:04

I remember Karen, who else, there were quite a few that I can visualize but the names are eluding me,

Mike Fortune 35+ crusiers and his son Stephen from Hutton Rugby.

Watch this space Neil, I've got a little video uploading to youtube that you'll like :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdHgYfq1yz8
paulgray

Postby neilboro » 17 May 2010, 08:47

gary carver
i see karen quite often when im dropping my little n off at nursery
i havent seen ste f for a whilst,he used to live in hutton rugby,do you remember me paul?...neil armstrong used to go racing with my dad (r.i.p)and marc thompson,and his dad barry :D ,bump into linda and jeff holland a fair bit!
neilboro

Next

Return to Old Skool