Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Re: Ossett Town BMX Club

Postby stevenwynnuk » 21 Sep 2010, 16:13

Christ - now Im feeling old. Howdy to all of you old enough to remember me (Steve Hughes from Gawthorpe). Quite a few familiar faces here, and some great old pics!

Kieron - hows things? I remember racing with you and your sis........

Got a load of old photos from our race days stashed at my Dads somewhere, will try and find some and get them all scanned.

Any more of the Gawthorpe lot around?

Steve
stevenwynnuk

Postby kieron151 » 22 Sep 2010, 12:44

Last edited by kieron151 on 03 Nov 2013, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
kieron151

Postby stevenwynnuk » 23 Sep 2010, 18:03

Hiya,

All good thanks. Finally settled down in Nottingham after a weird journey via the states and russia - its been a busy couple of decades!
Bad times? We didnt kick the sh*t out of each other at some point did we :)?

S
stevenwynnuk

Postby kieron151 » 23 Sep 2010, 21:33

Last edited by kieron151 on 03 Nov 2013, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
kieron151

Postby kieron151 » 11 Oct 2010, 20:15

Last edited by kieron151 on 03 Nov 2013, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
kieron151

Postby T1Marc » 18 Nov 2010, 01:23

I too frequented The Ossett Town Track regularly and my own mother was one of the founder members...

If I recall rightly there was My Mum Sue Laycock,Paul Parkinson Senior, Brian Whitnall, Derek Smith, The Grays Dad (cant remember his first name) Mel Preistley and possibly a few I have left out..

The track originated at the other side of the football pitch and was a 4 man system initially with a elastic band before a local company sponsored the gate and someones dad (i cant remember who) knocked one up at work...

The reason this happened was due to Ossett Town Football club not believing BMX was as popular as it was, they wanted to give it a go and if the track was a success they allocated a piece of land that was to become the track as we know it.

I raced there for all of my racing life til it shut, i then became part of shop teams..

I am still in weekly contact with Rich Smith (smig) and more recently Ritchie Boocock (who advised me of this site) , Jimmy Smith and occasionally Ian Woodfine..

Bit of a blast from the past this...And yep im feeling old..You all might remember me as Marc Laycock..

:D :D :D
T1Marc

Postby JOHN4 » 06 Dec 2012, 16:16

Mark laycok, i remember you and jock, and the old track with that dodgy starting gate, good days mate, john anderson
JOHN4

Postby jbramley » 22 Oct 2013, 21:07

Hi Kieron, hope your fine & well I used to race against you now & again. Jonathan Bramley- name ring any bells? Just come across this site- been recommended as I have just introduced my 4 yr old to the BMX world! I raced from 1984- 1990. Great days - great memorys. Local tracks for me Knottingley, Castleford, Ossett, Yiedon, Leeds, Askern, Harrogate, Bradford - I don't recall racing at Sheffield- represented Yorkshire & Humberside and enjoyed the British champs annually at the Greyhound track Derby, then I believe the British Champs went to Nottingham.

Recently moved and come across a load of photos in my old loft- believe you are on some? I remember various names from the photos in our age group- Graham Stanley, Andrew Nelson, Alex Renton, Liam Trickay?, Wesley Holland, Adam ?- Nationals - William Ballentyne, Chris Hyde, Peter Holland, Scott Beaumont- I am crap with names - god knows why I remember these ! - Great days I can only assume!

Jonathan.
jbramley

Postby kieron151 » 25 Oct 2013, 19:42

Last edited by kieron151 on 03 Nov 2013, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
kieron151

Postby kieron151 » 25 Oct 2013, 19:57

The only picture of Ossetts first straight I have, small speed bump before the big burm..
kieron151

Postby jbramley » 25 Oct 2013, 20:25

kieron151 wrote:Hey Jonathan,
As soon as I saw the name jbramley I thought that has to be Jonathan, Things are good hope your the same.
A couple of the old tracks still going, you probably know yiedon is still there and fearnville tracks.
I'd forgot about Andrew Nelson, I'm sure it was him that had his ears pinned back? (god knows how I remember that) . Liam Trickay? you thinking of Leon Treco, left racing to play rugby, Wez Holland I remember and Alex, Saw Graham a few months ago, bought a frame of me, the Adam your thinking of might be Talbot, a couple of other names you might remember: Simon Amos and Simon Butterly. I raced at Sheffield with William which was a east midlands region track after Ossett moved to Horbury, probably why you carn't remember it. Good memory's for me, When you get chance post your pictures on here.

All Good pal thanks, I heard Yiedon still there & could not find Fearnville early in the year will have to get my 'old man' to take me through 1 weekend if he can jog his memory! Andrew Nelson yes, Leon Treco yes, Talbot Amos & Butterly? - Horbury great track nr a lake is that still there? G8 memorys hope I provide same for my lads! Mad reading the posts the other night names- real blast from the past also Lee betram , Gareth Blade - that must have been a competitive age however I am sure every year thought the same! Someone told me to type in Cocksmoor Woods BMX track 1986 - sure enough I am on there 1st race of the finals mad! Carnt even remember where that was down South some where I think. Will get my photos on may be some on my face book if your on that - go on once a week if that - if its not got 2 wheels or an engine not my cup of tea! I started Trials riding at the age of 15 I think William ballantyne or Lee betram was good at that at a meeting- never spoke - remembered name on way home! Always had a Mountain bike- whoop peoples arse at Dalby (on the down hill sections anyway to this day!) -Then road motorcycles from 18 yrs old to this day - Had a go at Moto X for the last 3 years but sold the bike 2 weeks ago - no time with the boys! Hey b4 I go Andy White bit older than us I heard he is Left hand guitarist Kiaser Cheifs his Dad used to shout GO,GO,GO - Alan Smith year below us the Footballer ! I will get pics on once I work out how? Johnny (Jonathan)
jbramley

Postby jbramley » 25 Oct 2013, 20:25

kieron151 wrote:Hey Jonathan,
As soon as I saw the name jbramley I thought that has to be Jonathan, Things are good hope your the same.
A couple of the old tracks still going, you probably know yiedon is still there and fearnville tracks.
I'd forgot about Andrew Nelson, I'm sure it was him that had his ears pinned back? (god knows how I remember that) . Liam Trickay? you thinking of Leon Treco, left racing to play rugby, Wez Holland I remember and Alex, Saw Graham a few months ago, bought a frame of me, the Adam your thinking of might be Talbot, a couple of other names you might remember: Simon Amos and Simon Butterly. I raced at Sheffield with William which was a east midlands region track after Ossett moved to Horbury, probably why you carn't remember it. Good memory's for me, When you get chance post your pictures on here.

All Good pal thanks, I heard Yiedon still there & could not find Fearnville early in the year will have to get my 'old man' to take me through 1 weekend if he can jog his memory! Andrew Nelson yes, Leon Treco yes, Talbot Amos & Butterly? - Horbury great track nr a lake is that still there? G8 memorys hope I provide same for my lads! Mad reading the posts the other night names- real blast from the past also Lee betram , Gareth Blade - that must have been a competitive age however I am sure every year thought the same! Someone told me to type in Cocksmoor Woods BMX track 1986 - sure enough I am on there 1st race of the finals mad! Carnt even remember where that was down South some where I think. Will get my photos on may be some on my face book if your on that - go on once a week if that - if its not got 2 wheels or an engine not my cup of tea! I started Trials riding at the age of 15 I think William ballantyne or Lee betram was good at that at a meeting- never spoke - remembered name on way home! Always had a Mountain bike- whoop peoples arse at Dalby (on the down hill sections anyway to this day!) -Then road motorcycles from 18 yrs old to this day - Had a go at Moto X for the last 3 years but sold the bike 2 weeks ago - no time with the boys! Hey b4 I go Andy White bit older than us I heard he is Left hand guitarist Kiaser Cheifs his Dad used to shout GO,GO,GO - Alan Smith year below us the Footballer ! I will get pics on once I work out how? Johnny (Jonathan)
jbramley

Postby kieron151 » 28 Oct 2013, 19:05

kieron151

Previous

Return to Old Skool