Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ZAC » 15 Sep 2009, 13:47

Not sure how well this photo will come out, i'll try again if crap! This is the 9's semis (i think) or possibly the quarters, only riders i can remember are from right to left : Chris Eddings, Matt O'Keefe???, 4 white plate?, me (Zac Taylor), then last four havent a clue!! i came 5th and missed out, (just noticed how popular the Yes helmets were!!
Attachments
bmx840003.JPG
bmx840003.JPG (30.35 KiB) Viewed 8098 times
Last edited by ZAC on 15 Sep 2009, 19:43, edited 5 times in total.
ZAC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby MAXFITZ » 15 Sep 2009, 14:03

ZAC wrote:Not sure how well this photo will come out, i'll try again if crap! This is the 9's semis (i think) or possibly the quarters, only riders i can remember are from right to left : Chris Eddings, Matt O'Keefe???, 4 white plate?, me (Zac Taylor), then last four havent a clue!! i came 5th and missed out, (just noticed how popular the Yes helmets were!!


Can't see the pic but I think 4NW (white plate) that year might have been David Higgins or David Bill
MAXFITZ
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 24 Jul 2009, 12:57

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby Hopesy » 15 Sep 2009, 18:59

Hi Zac, not sure if you remember me (Neil Hopes) i used to hang around with your brother when you lived in Whitehall.
1984 was my first brits, think it might have been your last?
I remember thoughs blue plates,they were so thin you were lucky if they lasted the motos :lol:
weren't you the reigning British Champion in that pic :D
I'm back riding again now getting ready for another brits this weekend at Cheddar, if you got time come on down
Your mate Rich Green will be riding aswell. He says he will try and get you racing again :D
Say hello to Matt for me

cheers Neil #3
Hopesy
 
Posts: 183
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 13:53

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ZAC » 15 Sep 2009, 19:03

MAXFITZ wrote:
ZAC wrote:Not sure how well this photo will come out, i'll try again if crap! This is the 9's semis (i think) or possibly the quarters, only riders i can remember are from right to left : Chris Eddings, Matt O'Keefe???, 4 white plate?, me (Zac Taylor), then last four havent a clue!! i came 5th and missed out, (just noticed how popular the Yes helmets were!!


Can't see the pic but I think 4NW (white plate) that year might have been David Higgins or David Bill


you're right mate it is David Higgins, ive dug out the original programme (which ill try & scan in shortly), the other riders continuing from me are: Andrew Jackson, Paul Webster, Mark Rawson & Matt O'Keefe is actually on the end, second rider in from right is Jamie Bones, ill try & upload clearer photo
ZAC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ZAC » 15 Sep 2009, 19:18

Hopesy wrote:Hi Zac, not sure if you remember me (Neil Hopes) i used to hang around with your brother when you lived in Whitehall.
1984 was my first brits, think it might have been your last?
I remember thoughs blue plates,they were so thin you were lucky if they lasted the motos :lol:
weren't you the reigning British Champion in that pic :D
I'm back riding again now getting ready for another brits this weekend at Cheddar, if you got time come on down
Your mate Rich Green will be riding aswell. He says he will try and get you racing again :D
Say hello to Matt for me

cheers Neil #3


Hi Neil, yeh definately remember your name mate, and ill recognise you when i see you , no doubt! Yeh 84 was my last brits, went onto UKBMX full time then but i think 85 was my last year, our dad couldnt put up with our brother bloody moaning all the time when i got new parts and he didnt! Ha, even though his bike was immaculate.
I was reigning champion then, you're right, came 5th in the semis, gutted, wrong gearing....ahem, or something...!
Mint that you're riding again, richy is on non-stop about everyones career come-backs, so we'll see... i get knackered on me MTB let alone a BMX, i'll definately try to come down weekend but out on the MXer so if not , i'll check in with rich & get to meet up, have a good one, cheers zac
ZAC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby jamie boness » 15 Sep 2009, 21:14

Yep thats me plate number 6 in the GT colours.
Heres a pic of the podium line up from that yr,a whole 25 yrs ago! That was my first Brits i raced at.It took me until 1993 to win though!
1st.Michael Nichols 2nd.Paul Webster 3rd.Jamie Boness .
Image
RIDE TO LIVE,LIVE TO RIDE!!
jamie boness
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 28 May 2007, 21:07

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby Jace » 16 Sep 2009, 10:45

I'll show you how to work that scanner correctly on saturday :lol:
I have the solution for a problem that doesnt yet exist ......


.
User avatar
Jace
 
Posts: 418
Joined: 31 Jul 2007, 10:55

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ZAC » 16 Sep 2009, 16:47

jamie boness wrote:Yep thats me plate number 6 in the GT colours.
Heres a pic of the podium line up from that yr,a whole 25 yrs ago! That was my first Brits i raced at.It took me until 1993 to win though!
1st.Michael Nichols 2nd.Paul Webster 3rd.Jamie Boness .
Image


Hi jamie , i remember now...mike nichols winning, i can see chris edding in the podium shot, can you remember the other qualifier from our semi? cheers zac
ZAC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby jamie boness » 16 Sep 2009, 19:44

Hi Zac,
No can't remember.Wouldn't have remembered my own without seeing that photo.Love seeing these old photo's.If you have anymore you should get em posted on here.Cant beat looking back at oldies!

Cheers, jamie
RIDE TO LIVE,LIVE TO RIDE!!
jamie boness
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 28 May 2007, 21:07

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby oldskoold » 16 Sep 2009, 21:25

12 year old final. 1 Sw Martin Hughs, 1 WM( winner ) Derek Owens, 1 EM Me , 1 YH Sean Rose 1 SC Darrel Wheeler.
Attachments
brits.jpg
oldskoold
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Apr 2008, 03:09

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby nicp74 » 17 Sep 2009, 11:10

i remember derby 84 really well, a great race weekend and dog racing on saturday night to boot. Finished 2nd behind Paul Ayton in 17+, anyone out there who made that final?
User avatar
nicp74
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 26 Feb 2009, 13:26
Location: london

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ELBASSO » 17 Sep 2009, 19:58

someone out there must have photo or something of my final i think it was the 15 year boys, ....anyone
ELBASSO
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 Oct 2007, 20:15
Location: newark

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby paulgray » 22 Sep 2009, 12:18

DaveDawson wrote:Kev - you are right I was second in the cruisers behind Geth - It was the picture at the top of the thread with Mike Brown leading on his cruiser and Ian Mason on the floor that reminded me.

Paul - hope you are OK - my Dada and I were talking about old BMX riders the other day and he was commenting on his old Redline team and your name came up..


Hi Dave,

I'm doing OK thanks, just a bit frustrated that I can't have another go at racing in the OS class. I remember your dad Pete and your little bro Dan very well, and I enjoyed my time with Hotshot Redline. I hope you're all fit and well and enjoying life :D .

In the news.
Image

Las Vegas trophies.
Image
User avatar
paulgray
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 14 Aug 2008, 12:07

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby ZAC » 29 Sep 2009, 19:38

Found this one of 84 podium, i think its either Cruisers or 17's? but probably wrong, only rider i know is Will Roach in third.
Attachments
derby 840001.jpg
ZAC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby Antapro » 26 Oct 2009, 21:43

NickM wrote:84 was my first of 5 years qualifying. Was terrified when I first saw the track and the whole set-up. Nothing really compared to it down in the South West at the time. Happy days. Have included the gate picture of one of my motos. I'm No. 5 in the Blue & Yellow GT gear.

I remember the British Championships im #10 Anthony Warren & I've still got that bike :-)
Antapro
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 21:23

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby nicp74 » 09 Nov 2009, 13:54

ZAC wrote:Found this one of 84 podium, i think its either Cruisers or 17's? but probably wrong, only rider i know is Will Roach in third.

tim davies from farnham bmx is the winner, this is cruiser.
User avatar
nicp74
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 26 Feb 2009, 13:26
Location: london

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby oldskoold » 10 Nov 2009, 02:04

Its 17 plus Final. 1st Simon Baily ( hutch ) 2nd Brum guy. Maybe Paul Miller i think.. Jag guy in 5th Nick Field.
oldskoold
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Apr 2008, 03:09

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby djcarlos88 » 16 Mar 2013, 19:25

oldmankev wrote:I remember it well came 3rd behind some geezer called Shooter.

Can't believe that, i was in the same motos, semis and fianl. i was behind geth going into the bombhole just before the last straight and i got so chuffed with myself i had the most ridiculous crash and ended up 8th, still got the trophy.
djcarlos88
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:50

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby JasonTrevor » 12 Nov 2013, 20:58

I Still have the videos of all the motos and finals of every race!
JasonTrevor
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 20:46

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby OldBMXer » 19 Nov 2013, 02:20

69030_569428036411304_1705804992_n.jpg
Not sure if this is 1984? Maybe 85 or 86.
OldBMXer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Nov 2013, 01:53

Previous

Return to Old Skool

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests