Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby 621nw » 19 Jun 2009, 20:58

Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984, if so do you have any photos? i raced there with plate no: 6nw let me know!!!!! :twisted:
621nw

Re: Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984

Postby AlexMac » 22 Jun 2009, 11:56

Likewise! I raced there in 84 in the 10's as 2NW with Mark Whitehead, I just missed out on the semis with a 5th in the 1/4's.

Wish I had some photo's to share. Be good to know who has any pictures from this one.
AlexMac

Postby Phryxus » 05 Jul 2009, 18:39

After reading your post I was prompted to check through my old BMX photos and came across this gem of me (I'm the one on the far left in the red and white helmet) taking the shortest route possible down to the dirt. Luckily I was up pretty quick and came in forth putting me through to the cruiser final in which I came 7th. I bettered that the following year comming in 3rd, finally winning in 1986.
Attachments
BMX001.jpg
Me falling off, Derby 1984 British Champs, cruiser semi final
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't
mess with the best, cos I just can't be arsed!
Ilson Gunners 82-87
Phryxus

Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire and Tattershall, Lincolnshire, England

Postby ELBASSO » 06 Jul 2009, 19:48

i do i came second to robin mason i crashed about 10 metres from line but me and robin was so far ahead i managed to get on in time , i was chuffed to bits
ELBASSO

Postby oldmankev » 06 Jul 2009, 20:43

I remember it well came 3rd behind some geezer called Shooter.
Ok riders lets set em up Riders ready watch
the gate beep beep beep phsssssssssssst.
oldmankev

Postby DaveDawson » 22 Jul 2009, 12:24

I was second to Geth in that race - Kev - how you doin?
Aint too old!
DaveDawson

Postby NickM » 22 Jul 2009, 18:35

84 was my first of 5 years qualifying. Was terrified when I first saw the track and the whole set-up. Nothing really compared to it down in the South West at the time. Happy days. Have included the gate picture of one of my motos. I'm No. 5 in the Blue & Yellow GT gear.
Attachments
bmx22.jpg
The Spirit is Willing, but the Body is Weak!!
NickM

Postby ianmason » 22 Jul 2009, 20:47

I was there to cant remeber where i finished ian mason robins brother
ianmason

Postby oldmankev » 03 Aug 2009, 08:31

Dave it was Paul gray who came 2nd, are you thinking about Cruisers?
Ok riders lets set em up Riders ready watch
the gate beep beep beep phsssssssssssst.
oldmankev

Postby paulgray » 16 Aug 2009, 19:03

oldmankev wrote:Dave it was Paul gray who came 2nd, are you thinking about Cruisers?

4th Elliot Murrdock
6th Dale Goodwin

I think Kev can name the rest.
paulgray

Postby paulgray » 16 Aug 2009, 19:16

621nw wrote:Anyone remember the British championships in derby 1984, if so do you have any photos? i raced there with plate no: 6nw let me know!!!!! :twisted:

Two more photos from the 16 year old motos. Looks like I was running gearing 45/17 that day.

The rider in blue & yellow is Nicky Mathews, 2 x UKBMX national number 1.

I've just noticed that I am wearing the classic Redline shirt in these two photos but I'm wearing the team Hotshot Redline Top on the podium, must have got the shirt that day I guess.
paulgray

Postby paulgray » 16 Aug 2009, 19:23

NickM wrote:84 was my first of 5 years qualifying. Was terrified when I first saw the track and the whole set-up. Nothing really compared to it down in the South West at the time. Happy days.

I remember the place was so packed you could hardly move and the atmosphere was amazing. Well done NBMXA! Just a shame the track wasn't challenging enough.
paulgray

Postby Flemdog. » 17 Aug 2009, 07:26

Great seeing you again Paul at Hartlepool, I recognised you straight away...!

Get yourself down to regular gate practice while the light days are still here and treat yourself to a cruiser to slowly get back up to speed buddy, cruisers are well safe and fun to start on again...

Too much fun to be had yet mate! 8) 8) :lol:
Flemdog.

Postby spondoolie » 17 Aug 2009, 09:19

Paul,
I suspect the Redline tops are different because one is from the brits and the other 2 (with Nicky Matthews in shot) are from an NBMXA national. You had to have qualified from your region to get in the brits and your plate had to be your regions colour background and ranking number (as in the shot of the guys on the gate)
spondoolie

Postby COPEYSDAD » 17 Aug 2009, 15:46

Almost correct "Spon" the qualification for the British Championships were as follows - Top 8 national ranked riders (hence the nat 2 plate) were invited from each age groupe, these riders were then omitted from the regional qualification lists and the then top 8 riders were invited regionally .It was possible to finish 9th in the region and qualify for the champs if one of the riders from your region in the same age groupe gained a top 8 National ranking.

Riders Ready Pedals Ready oooooooppsss :P
COPEYSDAD

Postby spondoolie » 17 Aug 2009, 16:16

It seems you would also get an invite if others ahead in the rankings didn't take up their place?
Pretty sure this is me in 88 brits #5 EM . Also #15 Pink (region? NI or SW perhaps?) and #12 Orange from West Midlands. Rest of the NBMXA regional colours anyone?

17+ NBMXA Brits Derby.jpg
spondoolie

Postby paulgray » 17 Aug 2009, 18:22

spondoolie wrote:Paul,
I suspect the Redline tops are different because one is from the brits and the other 2 (with Nicky Matthews in shot) are from an NBMXA national. You had to have qualified from your region to get in the brits and your plate had to be your regions colour background and ranking number (as in the shot of the guys on the gate)

Thanks, I hadn't considered that, you could be right. I took national #2 and regional #2 that year.

COPEYSDAD wrote:Almost correct "Spon" the qualification for the British Championships were as follows - Top 8 national ranked riders (hence the nat 2 plate) were invited from each age groupe, these riders were then omitted from the regional qualification lists and the then top 8 riders were invited regionally .It was possible to finish 9th in the region and qualify for the champs if one of the riders from your region in the same age groupe gained a top 8 National ranking.

And I didn't know that. As Nicky is running a big number on his plate does that mean the pictures must be from a national and not the Brits?
paulgray

Postby paulgray » 17 Aug 2009, 20:54

Flemdog. wrote:Great seeing you again Paul at Hartlepool, I recognised you straight away...!

Get yourself down to regular gate practice while the light days are still here and treat yourself to a cruiser to slowly get back up to speed buddy, cruisers are well safe and fun to start on again...

Too much fun to be had yet mate! 8) 8) :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement Tony bud, and believe me, I'd love to recapture what I had back then, I feel well and I think could still be strong on the track and I still don't like being beat so I'd be trying hard (and having fun).

The worst thing for me is that I look OK and I feel fine but I know I have to avoid injury, so when my mates say "come on out on your motorbike" or "lets go mountain biking or skiing" or "get your BMX out" my first thought is "yea great" but then I have to say "thanks for asking but I can't". That's my sad situation at the moment but my condition goes up and down in severity so I'm not ruling it out. I would have liked to have got a race in this year as it's 20 years since my last outing, but things didn't work out for me, if things take a turn for the better you might see me up on the gate again some day, just for fun like :wink:
paulgray

Postby Lee warden » 21 Aug 2009, 08:20

In regards to the number plates question, spondolie..Black was Yorkshire Humberside thats me on the 4 plate
Lee warden

Postby DaveDawson » 30 Aug 2009, 18:55

Kev - you are right I was second in the cruisers behind Geth - It was the picture at the top of the thread with Mike Brown leading on his cruiser and Ian Mason on the floor that reminded me.

Paul - hope you are OK - my Dada and I were talking about old BMX riders the other day and he was commenting on his old Redline team and your name came up..
Aint too old!
DaveDawson

Next

Return to Old Skool