When were frame/stem/bar pads resigned to history?

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

When were frame/stem/bar pads resigned to history?

Postby nealwilson » 13 Aug 2013, 12:25

As any BMX racer from the 80's knows, frame, stem and bar pads were a must to get through scrutineering...but they have disappeared from modern-day bikes. At what stage in the nineties or noughties did this occur, or was it a gradual thing?

And on a similar note, what happened to the once-regimented "scrutineering"?
nealwilson

Re: When were frame/stem/bar pads resigned to history?

Postby mrleemur » 13 Aug 2013, 22:27

Or signing each other's slips when there was no one around to scrutineer!! :lol:
mrleemur

Postby ChrisCarter » 02 Sep 2013, 22:16

I seem to recall scrutineering disappearing throughout 1984. I think as rider numbers grew, it just became impractical, plus the fact that there was no guarantee that the scrutineers knew anything about bike mechanics. I even remember being a scrutineer myself for one race when my local club was short, and I was only about 14 years old! (I felt awful when I had to fail one kid's bike 'cos his chain was too loose, but we got the spanners out and sorted it pretty quickly :) ).

As for the pads, I'm also curious about this. In every other aspect, safety awareness has gone up (full face helmets, the proliferation of full body armour on more and more riders etc.) so I can't see why a decision would have been made to remove a safety item, however marginal the benefits of having bike pads may have been. It's not like they were prohibitively expensive or heavy, and if I could find a set I'd run them today, but they don't seem to exist anymore.
Team Race Day Video - We've Got You Covered.
ChrisCarter

Postby mrleemur » 04 Sep 2013, 05:18

Search "bmx frame pads" on ebay there's some about!
mrleemur

Postby matthaywood36 » 20 Sep 2013, 10:58

Might have to start a bike pad revival for next season! :P
matthaywood36

Postby Humps00 » 22 Sep 2013, 19:40

The rule relating to use of pads disappeared about six years ago I think but I'd have to trawl through the BC Handbooks to be precise - where's Ady when you need him. In my experience the stem pad was the only one worth having and which afforded any protection. The top bar pad was never in the right place when you banged your family heirlooms so they really were little more than an ornament. I've got a few pads knocking around that one day might be wanted by a collector but until then they'll stay put. Humps
Alan Humphrey - Secretary of Cornwall BMX Racing Club
Supporting Dialled Bikes
Humps00

Postby Delsy7 » 14 Jan 2014, 04:02

Thanks for sharing this post!
Delsy7

Return to Old Skool