Who are the Old Schoolers

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Re: Who are the Old Schoolers

Postby DarrenNelson » 04 Oct 2011, 13:47

DSC04659.JPG
Well I didn't know we were all so popular at the Chorley monster down hill start!!

Darren Nelson. Raced 1980 to 1986. 3rd in UK 84 and 4th in Europe ( Birmingham then Dijon ) - Top Brit that year as Andy Oldham decided to ride into a round tube gate post on our campsite and take a chunk out of his arm - ruined our holiday together!! Although I came home with stitches in my chin after getting squashed into a jump in the final and everyone thought I was dead!

Suprised many of you remember Pontins at Morecambe that well. I hated it, and the wind, well!!

3 Sisters ruled!!

Top challengers for me - Andy Oldham, Dale Holmes, Anthony Howells, Sean Rose, Julian xxxx.

Rode for the legend that is Mr. Alan Woods on his National squad, then Torkers!

Now trying to get my daughter into it and maybe even myself again at the tender age of 40!
Attachments
165564_476183864676_556229676_6049366_5193418_n.jpg
164547_476183919676_556229676_6049369_3840920_n.jpg
I was once not too bad at this BMX thing back in the 80s!!
3rd in Country sponsored by Robinson ( Alan Woods ), maybe 4th in Europe and plenty of stitches!
DarrenNelson

Postby Steventux » 11 Oct 2011, 13:18

Hi I'm Steve Laing, raced SE regionals, Shoreham and Burgess Hill from around 1986, raced a lot against Tim Belcher. I remember the likes of Matt Leggatt, John Gammons and a few other names here.
Would love to see the Shoreham track running races again. Nothing like a stiff sea breeze...
Steventux

Postby JonTheBassist » 11 Oct 2011, 14:26

01gee wrote:Hi all

Can't believe this site, bringing back all the good memory's that's made my think how lucky i was to Have parents that supported me & took me all over racing.

Graham Stanley, 33 this year raced from been 5 till I was 15 for ossett town bmx club then horbury hotshot, raced NBMXA/BBMXA & EBA when both associations emerged then went back BBMXA after the split. Raced regionals & national level, regionals No 1 or 2 national No 5 BBMXA. Raced for D.R.G Coventry with the likes of Andy daily, Scott Forbes, Matty Boyle, Jamie betridge just to name a few.

Most ppl might remember my parents Roy & Diane they just about had there fingers in most of what was going on in the time i was riding they did a lot for the sport in regionals & nationals levels. I think my mum was secretary of the BB association at some time.

I remember and looked up to Dale, Geth, Dylan, Jamie ? can't remember his last name used to ride for scorpion, Andy ruffle, got a picture of me at age 4 with Andy at the Bradford track and mostly my cusin Martin leeroyd if any body remembers him, raced in the 80's regional No1 or 2 him and a lad called Phil warburton were close rivals

Best track I loved every track I raced on but enjoyed the british champs and pontins most,

after 17 year out of bmx and not coming across any boady else who raced thought BMX racing had died off. I put a bit of a weight on the last 5 years and decided to get a MTB started riding with a few ppl/club and come across Phil warburton looking well and fit then a few weeks later I meet a lad call Chris spiek at work who's son's race after a long chat he put me onto this site and also talked me into watching the Manchester national this year so I did taking my partner & 3 year old son with me all day all I heard was me race, me race daddy my turn and with the reply of when you can ride your bike with out stabilisers son you can looking forward to that day and might even ask Santa if av been good LOL for a cruiser.

Hi Graham,
Me, my dad and younger brother all raced for Horbury for a couple of years around 89-90 when we moved back up north. I remember you, and your mum and dad who were into everything at the time. I've got an interesting Trackchat results list on my Facebook page from an interclub meet between Horbury, Mid Lancs and Langbaurgh Lions which I'm sure you're on. We've also got a few pics of Horbury riders from the 89 and 90 Brits which I need to scan and get posted up.
Jon
Snap you later!
Jon Rhodes - Coach @Bradford Bandits BMX Racing Club / Cruiser Dad / Veteran
Facebook - Team Rhodes BMX
Martins European Transport, Dragon BMX Racing, Pro Acoustics, Bespoken Wheel Builds & Bicycle Fixes
JonTheBassist

Postby markthegaffer » 20 Nov 2011, 15:08

Hello i started racing 1979 or 1980 my first trophy i can find it was at buckmore park 1980 me my brother tomi keeling who was the youngest rider as there was not a class for him and had to ride up eastway was my home track where i would race with my cousins billy Lucas Jim Lucas Dave Lucas and Joanna Lucas
i have just got back into it when my daughter ask if she could do bmx
i am going to race sw regional this year after watching her race last year
my name mark keeling
markthegaffer

Postby jasonoldschool » 18 Dec 2011, 18:35

Jason Seekings 41 years old

Raced at Gosport BMX track at Grove Road, from when it was built until it was bulldozed BITD. I used to race at Southampton, Petersfied and Swanage when I could get a lift!!! I also used to ride Southsea Skate Park.

I was never very good but did it for fun.....I am now living in the West Midlands and my lad has just started racing at Birmingham and Nottingham so I have bought a couple of 20" new school retro bikes (PK Ripper & Quadangle)...but so far they have not made it out of my office!!

I am surprised not to see more old school Gosport BMX ers on here.
jasonoldschool

Postby Pagey » 04 Jan 2012, 08:41

Nigel Page
Age 40 (in a couple of weeks) - started racing end of 82 at 3sisters Wigan, then raced non-stop from 83 - start of 89. Raced with local 3sisters riders, Dylan Clayton etc. Rode with our local possy Martin Rogan, Ste Jones, Rob Brine, Carl Rowland and Northwest regionals with Warren Davies RIP, Gary Cocker, Mark Huddart, Adrian Newbry etc. Nationals - raced with Hilly, Nicky Restall, Jeremy Kennings, Darren Croft, Jon Zottel etc. Started getting faster in 88 when I grew haa, then packed in to raz around in my Nova and go to raves! (Wish I hadn't quit :)
Got back into riding bikes in 94/95. Did some regional MX and then started MTB DH in 97. Did a few BMX races in 97 for fun and met up with all the guys again, I couldn't believe they all still raced. Dylan, Dale Holmes, Flemdog, Ivsey etc. Then raced pro DH from 98 - 04. Raced a full year of BMX in 05, 20" and Cruiser and a couple of races in 06. Then quit again to run the Chain Recation Cycles DH race team which I do now as my full time job :)
Been racing again last year, Masters MTB DH and now trying to ride BMX again the last couple of months, but not going well at all! haa
Pagey

Postby dsthorp » 12 Feb 2012, 21:40

Cracking site, just joined, nice one Dale for starting this old skool thing off.

Raced bmx, nw region, and a fair few nbmxa nationals over the years.
Started racing in 83, with the old Machester Vikings club, near barton aerodrome, anyone remember that? it was friggin hard work with a long uphill section on the 2nd straight, god how things have changed.

Rode for roch valley raiders at heywood for a number of years, actually correct me on this if im wrong anyone but i seem to remember they had a different track at another location before they built the present one? remember the old red and yellow team coach, and then bruntwood bmx, near cheadle later cos it was nearer to us, that was a crap track though, can also remember the old mid lancs track at chorley before they moved it, had a massive start hill, unheard of back then, raced at 3 sisters and preston and the old crewe track, seem to remember having floodlit racing there on a friday night, anyone remember? we used to get the train there from stockport cant have been more than 14 or 15 yo, and rode the rest of the nw tracks think there was blackpool and a few others that i cant think of, kirby seems to ring a bell too ?

Was never much good due to the fact that we didnt live near a track and couldnt be bothered to do any training either just turned up and raced but hey we had some great fun, good times.

We used to travel to races by train due to the fact the old man wouldnt take us cos he was into football and thought we should do that, stuff that i thought from a young age i want to do bmx racing, we had some good adventures as teenagers travelling around the country with bikes and a kit bag on our backs, and was even known to take camping gear with us to the nationals, one particular trip to Milton Keynes sticks in my mind for some reason, think we unpacked the tent only to discover it was a friggin toilet tent, ha ha, what a laugh.

Rode the british champs at alvaston a number of times and also i think the old derby track at the greyhound stadium once, and went to the worlds at slough in 86 , that was just awesome, anyone remember a young american kid, think he was called Shelby James, he was a bit smooth and a bit quick as i guess a lot of the yanks were back then.

Was great once i was 17 and had a car suddenly we could get wherever we wanted to, we even borrowed my mates dads 2.8 granada about a week or so after i had passed my test, to get to a national in scotland, think it was musselborough or somewhere like that. I had a ford capri back then and we bought a small caravan to drag round to races, nearly wrote car and van off one time on the way home from alvaston british champs, all good fun.

Packed in racing in 89 or 90, after discovering beer and girls and bmx wasnt quite as exciting as the boom time of the earlier years, then took up mtb xc 3 or 4 years later did that at national level for 6 or 7 years and a bit of cyclox too, not as exciting as the bmx but suited me better as im not big enough or skillful enough for bmx, and was good to ride that during its heyday of the mid nineties.

Packed in bike racing alltogether about 10-12 years ago as was struggling with a long term back injury that i couldnt get on top of and have just rode for fun since, i have an 8 yo son now and have just got him a bmx for xmas as we went to watch a couple of races last year and he wanted to have a go , so i thought what better excuse to get myself a bmx and have a dabble again, turned 40 last year so maybe its a midlife crisis lol, I got myself a cruiser the other week and have rode it at the indoor last week for the first time, might have a go at the racing again if i can get anywhere near the standard, highly unlikely as it looks mega competitive, but hey im not bothered about the winning its all about the grin factor now.

My name is Dave Thorp and was in Dale Holmes age group i think, some of the good nw names back then were, Ian Sharp, John and Ian Barford, Richard Barrett, Ian Finch, Darren Croft, Sean Field, Tony Fleming, Darren Reidy, some of whom i see are still riding, Kim Carbutt, he was well smooth, what happened to him? and many more that i can name if i put my mind to it.

Happy days,
dsthorp

Re:

Postby dsthorp » 13 Feb 2012, 23:48

Rory wrote:Rory Clinch started racing in 1984 till 1991ish. Good to see some old names on here had the pleasue of racing Darren Reidy and Dylan Clayton at regional level things did'nt get much harder back then.

Thinking of buying a bike to re-live the good years!

omg, clinchy, ive just joined this site, some cracking stuff on it, dont know if you remember me or not? im dave thorp, me and our kid steve and another lad who travelled with us darren james, used to knock about with you and stevie hibbert, remember him? think he rode for RVR, you and him were quite handy riders till u started hanging around with us and getting pissed all the time, fooking gd laugh tho.
i remember u and him nicking my capri at a national pissed as twats and the filth nicking u at far end of campsite about to drive onto the road, fking crazy days, good times pal.

went to the indoor the other week with my lad,joe, hes 8, noticed you were riding again didnt manage to catch you thow.

Joes keen to have a go so i thought fook it and got me sen a cruiser for a fook about and am getting into it having not rode a bmx since 89, not sure if i will race or not yet see how it goes if i can learn the manuals and a bit of jumping might have a crack, im 41 this year, watched a couple of nationals and notice its stacked to fook and a bit quick lol

hope to catch up with you sometime soon, u still at mid lancs? weve just joined manchester
dsthorp

Postby STEVEGREEN » 25 Feb 2012, 18:12

Steve Green, 41 now :shock:

I started racing at the old Congleton track, it was Astbury around 1981

Marco ( Il Mago) was a tiny dot when we raced there!

I rode Crewe, Derby, Norton Canes, Wigan, Nottingham etc. all through the 80's, though I stopped around 86 when we used to jump on the Robinson Team coach to get to races from Crewe, I rode the night races at Crewe and was fortunate to of known Bob Fields.
I've raced Cycle Speedway, Mtb and Road, worked in the bike trade for 11 years and used to look after Marco's bike!

Just bought a Cruiser and need to (ahem) drop some weight !
STEVEGREEN

Postby paulray » 28 Feb 2012, 22:24

wow, blast from the past.
im Paul Ray from cornwall, 38 now,raced from 83-85,started in cornwall and went to pontins in 83 for my first big race and met the likes of Danny Stabielli(prob the coolest lookin 10 year old ever),alan brooks(british champion),craig elborough etc and won my big first race(still doin 1 pedal starts)hmm i think everyone must have though we came by tractor ;-).i won all the races that day and my mum(who was screamin at me all day) was told by brynn hoffmans mum that we shouls travel the 800 mile round trip more often.
the following year we went to 8 of the nbmxa nationals which i was lucky enough to win racing against some great riders like lee pickstone,aaron valente,matt james,alan brookes,bynn hoffman and lots more,halfway through this season we got sponsorship from redline which was amazing to be in a team with great riders like sarah jane nichols etc,this allowed me and my parents to do some of the ukbmx nationals .this was where i would get to race against danni stabielli and frazer campell(the no.1 and 2 from the previous year)and jamie staff(the powerhouse)and nathan lunn(fantastic style)who were ones to watch in ukbmx.my first ukbmx race was at birmingham wheel where i raced in jeans and one all the races on the day and the final,this was my most memorable race ever as i was so scared i just went as fast as i could against the countrys best and won (iv got this on video somewhere with all the other races,my dad never left without a camera).we did 7 uk races that year i think,six firsts and a third which gave me 4th overall that year(should have done one more!!! Lol).
the following year started havin ligament trouble in both kness,did 4 nationals ,and came 2nd,1st,2nd 1st(well finished 1st.... then placed last oops;-/)then retired,still came 4th overall i think lee pickstone or jamie staff won,cant be sure.
these were fantastic times to be had especially for a lad from cornwall,met some great people,remember geth shooter,tom lynch,charlie reynolds and there are hundreads more,after reading this forum it has brought back a lot of memories and might make me dig out all the vhs videos.
paulray

Postby smudge1SW » 02 Mar 2012, 08:21

Martin (Smudge) Smith , DOB 1969
Raced in the SW region 82-86 almost from when it started down there

Made it as high as SW#1 NBMXA + UKBMX in 85, then #1 NBMXA 15+ in 86
Did a few Nationals, but struggled against the likes of Stu Diggens and then in latter years, Darren woods and Whoppa

Rode most of the SW tracks at the time from Penzance, Newton Abbot, Brentor, Coypool(Plymouth) Tiverton & the Ware's backyard track next to their srcapyard in CarnBrea.

Teams I rode for:- BMX Superstore/Yes, JMC Support/BMX Centre Mousehole (Dave Harvey's shop!).
Bikes:- Halfords Turbo, GT Pro, Flite, Shadow, before finishing racing on a customised electric blue JMS Darell Young with Flite 401s, White GT hubs, DK stem
Gave up to pursue women and lager drinking after a brief flit with Time Trialling
Clubs:- West Devon Warriors, Plymouth Pumas

First ever Pro race watched :- Lee Cooper BMX Indoor GP (edmonton,London) 1981- Anyone else remember that?

Favorite track:- Plymouth (coypool)

Raced with:-
Andy Barron
Andy Bluett
Jason Lewis
The Arscotts

Started MTB XC racing in 2000, then road racing a year later

Currently #1 in the UK in the Masters 40+ Road Racing, riding for a top amateur team whilst serving the last of a 24 year career in the Military, living near the Mendips, Somerset

loving the trip down memory lane!!
smudge1SW

Postby smudge1SW » 02 Mar 2012, 08:22

paulray wrote:wow, blast from the past.
im Paul Ray from cornwall, 38 now,raced from 83-85,started in cornwall and went to pontins in 83 for my first big race and met the likes of Danny Stabielli(prob the coolest lookin 10 year old ever),alan brooks(british champion),craig elborough etc and won my big first race(still doin 1 pedal starts)hmm i think everyone must have though we came by tractor ;-).i won all the races that day and my mum(who was screamin at me all day) was told by brynn hoffmans mum that we shouls travel the 800 mile round trip more often.
the following year we went to 8 of the nbmxa nationals which i was lucky enough to win racing against some great riders like lee pickstone,aaron valente,matt james,alan brookes,bynn hoffman and lots more,halfway through this season we got sponsorship from redline which was amazing to be in a team with great riders like sarah jane nichols etc,this allowed me and my parents to do some of the ukbmx nationals .this was where i would get to race against danni stabielli and frazer campell(the no.1 and 2 from the previous year)and jamie staff(the powerhouse)and nathan lunn(fantastic style)who were ones to watch in ukbmx.my first ukbmx race was at birmingham wheel where i raced in jeans and one all the races on the day and the final,this was my most memorable race ever as i was so scared i just went as fast as i could against the countrys best and won (iv got this on video somewhere with all the other races,my dad never left without a camera).we did 7 uk races that year i think,six firsts and a third which gave me 4th overall that year(should have done one more!!! Lol).
the following year started havin ligament trouble in both kness,did 4 nationals ,and came 2nd,1st,2nd 1st(well finished 1st.... then placed last oops;-/)then retired,still came 4th overall i think lee pickstone or jamie staff won,cant be sure.
these were fantastic times to be had especially for a lad from cornwall,met some great people,remember geth shooter,tom lynch,charlie reynolds and there are hundreads more,after reading this forum it has brought back a lot of memories and might make me dig out all the vhs videos.

Hey Paul, i remember you! You rode for Roy Arscott too! You were an instant hitter on the SW scene!!
smudge1SW

Re:

Postby smudge1SW » 02 Mar 2012, 18:02

iancarroll wrote:Ian Carroll ripe old age of 37,
Raced South West area And NBMXA Nationals as a Bideford Bomber from 1982-1986/7 i think.
Best races; Won Pontins,3rd at derby Brits 85, National No3.

Raced with : Steve Setter, Daryl Gibbard,Matt King,Brian Snell,Paul Disly, Tim Brookes.

Ian.carroll@williamsf1.com

[/url]

Ian. how you doing? i remember your flash Skyway magnesium wheels, the ones with a gold hub. Think i was going to buy them from you but one was cracked? Good to see a name i recognise, and one indeed I can mention to my mother who tirelessly took me to all the events whilst my dad was at sea.
Martin
smudge1SW

Postby paulray » 02 Mar 2012, 18:24

[quote="smudge1SW"]Martin (Smudge) Smith , DOB 1969

Yeah I remember you too ,the bmx superstore team was great fun to be a part of back then ,that yes gear wasn't great though,too much red and stars:-/
paulray

Postby howieboy » 12 Apr 2012, 21:25

Neal howard 1982 till 1986 plymouth. loved it and miss it alot.great days redline midi ,carrera then jmc...gutted i sold it :D
Last edited by howieboy on 12 Apr 2012, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
howieboy

Postby howieboy » 12 Apr 2012, 21:29

paul don,t forget concorde cycles in there days lol.although bmx superstore..matt,simon and family was the place to be
howieboy

Postby howieboy » 12 Apr 2012, 21:33

smudge1SW wrote:
paulray wrote:wow, blast from the past.

Hey Paul, i remember you! You rode for Roy Arscott too! You were an instant hitter on the SW scene!!

yes he was smudge top rider for his year
howieboy

Postby howieboy » 12 Apr 2012, 21:41

smudge1SW wrote:Martin (Smudge) Smith , DOB 1969
Raced in the SW region 82-86 almost from when it started down there

Made it as high as SW#1 NBMXA + UKBMX in 85, then #1 NBMXA 15+ in 86
Did a few Nationals, but struggled against the likes of Stu Diggens and then in latter years, Darren woods and Whoppa

Rode most of the SW tracks at the time from Penzance, Newton Abbot, Brentor, Coypool(Plymouth) Tiverton & the Ware's backyard track next to their srcapyard in CarnBrea.

Teams I rode for:- BMX Superstore/Yes, JMC Support/BMX Centre Mousehole (Dave Harvey's shop!).
Bikes:- Halfords Turbo, GT Pro, Flite, Shadow, before finishing racing on a customised electric blue JMS Darell Young with Flite 401s, White GT hubs, DK stem
Gave up to pursue women and lager drinking after a brief flit with Time Trialling
Clubs:- West Devon Warriors, Plymouth Pumas

First ever Pro race watched :- Lee Cooper BMX Indoor GP (edmonton,London) 1981- Anyone else remember that?

Favorite track:- Plymouth (coypool)

Raced with:-
Andy Barron
Andy Bluett
Jason Lewis
The Arscotts

Started MTB XC racing in 2000, then road racing a year later

Currently #1 in the UK in the Masters 40+ Road Racing, riding for a top amateur team whilst serving the last of a 24 year career in the Military, living near the Mendips, Somerset

loving the trip down memory lane!!

coypool i loved to mart.remember wednesday evening...a race against all.the small ones had No chance.yet we all agreed to let them win each week to get a trophy.The bosses didn,t like it
howieboy

Postby DiamondBackPro » 15 Apr 2012, 19:22

Hi, I've just found this website. I was in the Diamond Back professional team for a few years and would love to hear from anybody new and old. Chris Simmons
DiamondBackPro

Postby DiamondBackPro » 15 Apr 2012, 20:43

Hi Guys, they used to call me the "Cow Boy". still very sharp at the ripe old age of 46. Probably faster than most, all the best Chris. Chris Simmons, Diamond Back Professional UK.
DiamondBackPro

PreviousNext

Return to Old Skool