Who are the Old Schoolers

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

Re: Who are the Old Schoolers

Postby AlexMac » 01 May 2012, 12:03

paulray wrote:wow, blast from the past.
im Paul Ray from cornwall, 38 now,raced from 83-85,started in cornwall and went to pontins in 83 for my first big race and met the likes of Danny Stabielli(prob the coolest lookin 10 year old ever),alan brooks(british champion),craig elborough etc and won my big first race(still doin 1 pedal starts)hmm i think everyone must have though we came by tractor ;-).i won all the races that day and my mum(who was screamin at me all day) was told by brynn hoffmans mum that we shouls travel the 800 mile round trip more often.

How could we forget you Paul, you kept beating me!! I might still have the picture of the podium of the Pontins weekender. My dad ruined my 3rd place trophy by trying to drink lager out of it!! :lol:

Living down your way these days, and a member of Cornwall BMX to boot. Nice to see you on here :D
AlexMac

Postby paulray » 04 May 2012, 12:47

hi Alex,yeah pontins was a great day(apart from the weather,and that wooden start ramp)i hadnt seen one of them before,my dad has that day on video somewhere.im living about a mile from The Track near redruth,i can nearly see it from our house. :D
paulray

Postby AlexMac » 08 May 2012, 12:01

paulray wrote:hi Alex,yeah pontins was a great day(apart from the weather,and that wooden start ramp)i hadnt seen one of them before,my dad has that day on video somewhere.im living about a mile from The Track near redruth,i can nearly see it from our house. :D

Hi Paul,

Trust me Morecambe never changed, I lived there until I was 19.

I was talking to Simon Rickett a while ago, he mentioned you still lived down this way. We've been living in Redruth since mid 2008 and just moved to the coast at the start of the year. There's a regional on at Duchy this Sunday, pop along for old times sake, we'll all be there under the yellow gazebo.

Take Care.

Alex
AlexMac

Postby ralph01 » 14 Jun 2012, 10:29

wow its good to read about the past and good memories racing a round the country but mainly for yeadon dambuster.
Im ralph storke,i competed in many national events from early 80s even winning alot of trophies which i still have.il have to try dig out my old photos and try add them on here,see if anyone remember names etc..
ralph01

Postby ralph01 » 16 Jul 2012, 14:36

Just a few pics from my photo album.The good old times.mid 80s

ralph01

Postby keithf » 31 Jul 2012, 10:46

Keith Fenwick Age 40!

Raced from 80-86 Gy and Clee BMX.

Our family with Geoff baraclough and loads others, built the track at the old Cleethorpes zoo, and then the YMCA track in Grimsby.
Peter South, Dale Holmes, Darren Nelson, Mark Temple, Damien Myles, Darren Mills, Sean Rose and loads of others in the age group. Raced regionals and managed no. 1e for a couple of years and best finish in the nationals was no. 14 uk.

Too old to remember most, but picked up the bug again after Chris Stanforth and the GYPO gang built the superb track at New Waltham. Once in ya veins, no going back.

Big Hi to all old skoolers. ;-D
keithf

Postby DukeBoy » 11 Aug 2012, 00:54

Richard Kinnersley age 39

Raced the south east track in early to mid 80's, mainly rode at Adur Aces Shoreham!

A regular at The Level skate park and in the good old Sussex Bmx shop in Lewes road Brighton back in the day, used to ride around with Nick I think his name was (sorry bad memory) the owner/guy how ran its son!

Stumbled across this forum while googling Eddie Fiola, remember meeting him in Sussex Bmx shop in the 80's and watching him ride at The Level in Brighton.

Have the urge to purchase an old school GT Pro Performer or a DP Firebird Freestyler!
DukeBoy

Postby DonnaChisholm » 16 Aug 2012, 23:10

I'm was a Hounslow girl, Donna Chisholm raced as "Daddy's Girl" in age 10, my brother was Steve Chisholm. Photo of a few of us at Hounslow track, photo taken for a local paper 1983/1984
Attachments
bmx.jpg
DonnaChisholm

Postby Tassotti » 01 Sep 2012, 12:44

[/attachment]
013.jpg

[attachment=0]Burgess Hill 1986 Ade Tassell Alan Peach.jpg
Attachments
Burgess Hill 1986 Ade Tassell Alan Peach.jpg
Tassotti

Postby Bermbandit » 23 Oct 2012, 23:07

Some of the NBMXA guys on here must be having too much skunk. Spencer Davis reckons he raced WM Regionals and got a 7 plate bur reckoned that was good as they had to race 1/16ths ????????. No NBMXA meeting ever got anywhere near 1/16ths - lucky to get quarters. UKBMX Hounslow 1985 was the only domestic meeting attracting anywhere near the number of racers to get anywhere 1/16ths. Keep on Running Spencer !!!
Bermbandit

Postby trollking » 30 Oct 2012, 18:57

Stupid question but how many riders are in a 1 /16th?
trollking

Postby TheOx » 04 Nov 2012, 12:25

Gary Oxborough.

How many memories is this stirring up! Raced round NW, mainly at mid-lancs from 1981 to 1986 and at the NBMXA nationals. Best result was regional number 1, national number 5. Seen a few familiar old names on here. My parents were on committee at mid lancs through most of the 80's and stayed involved after I gave up in 86. Got some pictures from all the tracks we used to race on and will try to get them scanned onto here.

Got a 5 year old who I am trying to get involved now, he's done a couple of sessions at the track at the velodrome in Manchester & is loving it. I'm itching to get back out there, but Mrs isn't too keen on the injuries. Am sure it will hurt a lot more at 42 than it did at 14!!

Would love to here from any of you that were around back in the day.
TheOx

Postby AHill » 18 Jan 2013, 14:28

TheOx wrote:Gary Oxborough.

How many memories is this stirring up! Raced round NW, mainly at mid-lancs from 1981 to 1986 and at the NBMXA nationals. Best result was regional number 1, national number 5. Seen a few familiar old names on here. My parents were on committee at mid lancs through most of the 80's and stayed involved after I gave up in 86. Got some pictures from all the tracks we used to race on and will try to get them scanned onto here.

Got a 5 year old who I am trying to get involved now, he's done a couple of sessions at the track at the velodrome in Manchester & is loving it. I'm itching to get back out there, but Mrs isn't too keen on the injuries. Am sure it will hurt a lot more at 42 than it did at 14!!

Would love to here from any of you that were around back in the day.

Hi Gaz, I remember you ,you used to race me back in the day, Andy Hill. I'm back racing and so is my daughter.
AHill

Postby elrohir » 06 Feb 2013, 08:00

raced in same age group has dale homles, simon blinkhorn
elrohir

Postby Keriejane » 21 May 2013, 18:14

Kerie Jane Hopkins
Raced 82-91. Raced with Cheryl Gamblin, Jamie Ann Tweedy, Donna Hoffman, Michelle Chenery
Travelled the country with my amazing mum (hoppy)
One of my favourite tracks and place was Slagharen (holland)
Sad to read that a few of the amazing friends I made are sadly not with us any more.
Will have to dig out some old photos of the 80's. I'm sure i could find a few shockers!!
Keriejane

Postby NickTurrell » 19 Jul 2013, 08:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlVevBC9NI

Watch closely.

I remember this being filmed as i was in the background and realised there was a monitor on the floor. So i decided to do a stupid dance in the background. 34 secs in.
NickTurrell

Postby justincasey » 26 Oct 2013, 00:39

I know u Fenwick.... I once did a 4 hour track and field marathon with ya at Top Shops Chippy.... You had to ring ur mam to come pick u up cos ur BMX had no lights and u weren`t meant to be using apart from in taces... haha...
:D
justincasey

Postby justincasey » 26 Oct 2013, 00:53

Geth wrote:
morroco wrote:Hey everyone,

I hope someone remembers me - Gary Fenwick. I rode from early 80 till about 86

Wheelways BMX Team (there's a name from the past)
1st UK Gt Factory Rider
CW Factory rider
East Coast BMX (my own team)
Falcon Factory Team

Just turning 42 next week - I can't belive I'm still alive
Been Married 3 times - Met my first wife in LA while messing abount on BMX's

If I remember correctly, had a national number 8 (14's), 2 (15's) , 3 (16's) plus 1 (18-24 cruiser) My original number was 303.

Started out with mongoose then supergoose. Got the first GT frame in the UK (went to GT factory in 82 & met Gary Turner) later had a cw (also raced on one of Pistol Pete's bike while in the states, loaned to me while over there !!)

My memory is pretty shot and i can't remeber names at the best of times but a big hey to anyone that knows me.............

Green Monsters. That's why your memeory's screwed.
I'll be back with a pic when I've dug out my East Coast shirt out of the attic...

Can u remember a 4 hour track & field marathon with me at Top Shops chippie?? U had to ring ur mom to pick u up cos ur BMX wasn`t meant to be used off the track and u had no lights and it was 11.30 pm..... we both had blisters on our hands and we wiped every record on it and kept hitting the over the 100 metre mark which was supposedly impossible...

i think it was in 1984 or 85 u were wearing ur racing strip white and blue and we ruined ur gloves and a wooley hat and gloves i pinched from my moms cupboard... the machine was like a glass mirror after we finished on it
justincasey

Postby JasonTrevor » 12 Nov 2013, 21:15

JASON TREVOR, BROTHER OF NEIL AND STEPHEN ALL RACED FOR MANCHESTER VIKINGS NW EARY 80S.
JasonTrevor

Postby thegodplato » 14 Nov 2013, 12:46

Hi, Darren Nelson here. Back racing Cruiser after retiring 27 years ago. Used to race Nationals for the Robinson National team ran by the legend Alan Woods against Dale Holmes, Andy Oldham, Damian Myles, etc.
Never thought I would be back but got my daughter into racing last December at Preston. I've only been back since June with my first race being the Blackpool Regional in the Expert 40-44 category where I made the A final finishing a respectable 6th on the tank of a Haro I had just bought. Now upgraded to a Team Issue ABD thanks to Andy Oldham. There's a few more jumps than there used to be!
Best old school resulst was a 3rd in the UK with a 4th in Europe in 82 or 83 - can't remember year but it was the 2 legs at Birmingham and then Dijon indoor where I got squashed in the final and ended up having a few stitches in my chin as I tried to go through the jump not over it. Currently racing Andy Hill, Russ Hanlon and Shaun Calvert coaches my daughter.
Good times. Could do with pics of some old tracks
Original Old Skooler back to racing ( and crashing! )
thegodplato

PreviousNext

Return to Old Skool