The true meaning of BMX

Find your old race buddies and share memories.

Moderators: Crooch, billstup

We know what bicycle moto cross is but is this bmx to you?

no as they are stunt riders and not racers
20%
yes as they are the soul of BMX
80%

Total votes : 30

The true meaning of BMX

Postby sinchy » 22 Mar 2007, 21:25

sinchy

Postby sinchy » 22 Mar 2007, 21:33

My opinion is this is the raddest thing i have even seen. The soul of BMX is in the dirt and ramps where you can express yourself through your bicycle skills.
sinchy

Postby wussy67 » 22 Mar 2007, 23:57

AWESOME :twisted:
wussy67

Postby BMXpert » 23 Mar 2007, 09:30

sinchy wrote:My opinion is this is the raddest thing i have even seen. The soul of BMX is in the dirt and ramps where you can express yourself through your bicycle skills.

Cant deny that is the raddest thing. It definitely is BMX and is part of the soul of BMX, but is it purely the soul of BMX though ?
What about the 4 year old on the track getting round without being pushed by his dad for the 1st time, or that 1st broadslide without highsiding ? Or the Sunday racer just doing their thing every Sunday regional, National whatever ? Even the top pros busting it at Mach speed ?And who can forget the old timers just doing occasionally because they still can (in their heads anyway) ?
I think all of these things combined make up the true spirit of BMX, oh yeah dont forget the Mums ! :lol:
BMXpert

http://www.bmxtalk.com/index.php

Postby harley » 23 Mar 2007, 10:29

tom,
is BMX not what you can do? wether its dirt jumping, racing, street, or ramps,
was it not about your freedom on a bike no one telling you what to do,
if your best was jumping off a kerb, a table down the track or just being part of somthing you liked, to me its all BMX!
as it is to the kids nowadays the same.
Taylor.
harley

Postby Geth » 23 Mar 2007, 11:49

FUN!

Playing at being Dave Thorpe (Old skool MX)
How many white lines in the road can you wheelie?
How many bricks can that plank of wood be stacked up?
How fast down that hill?
How far can you jump? (with a twig to mark it out)
Racing each other and trying to outdo each other.
Reading magazines and copying the things you see in there.
Learning new tricks and skills and pushing your own boundaries at your own pace.
Learning new tricks and skills while being pushed by your friends and riding buddies.

Even at the age of 40 you can't beat "trains" through the trails or round the skatepark.

I think Tom's right in a way. All these things are building blocks towards a BMX spirit. If you don't enjoy it, you might as well quit now.
And all this will help you become a better rider/racer too.
Geth

Postby timprint » 23 Mar 2007, 13:20

Geth wrote:

I was always Graham Noyce on my Grifter!
timprint

Postby RL » 23 Mar 2007, 19:24

Geth wrote:FUN!

How fast down that hill?
Learning new tricks and skills and pushing your own boundaries at your own pace.
Learning new tricks and skills while being pushed by your friends and riding buddies.

Even at the age of 40 you can't beat "trains" through the trails or round the skatepark.

I think Tom's right in a way. All these things are building blocks towards a BMX spirit. If you don't enjoy it, you might as well quit now.

all the things this man says! :wink:
some of that put a smile on my face as it is sooooo true....

Scottish BMX - If you raced me let me know!
RL

Postby Nobby » 23 Mar 2007, 19:40

How fast down that hill?

Spot on Geth,it's all these thing's and more.
Nobby

Postby DamionH » 23 Mar 2007, 20:44

FUN is the key word here, when you stop having fun what's the point?

The day I gave up was the day I went away early from riding with my mates as I had something better to do. Riding (in whatever form) should be the better thing to do.
DamionH

Postby ChrisCarter » 23 Mar 2007, 23:13

Undoubtedly those vids are amazing. And yep, true BMX to the core.

And I'm also with Geth - all those things, the bit of wood and the bricks, how many white lines for a wheelie etc. Just reading the words it doesn't sound like much; but when you do it and understand it, even at our age, it's just the best thing ever.

And what about all those other kids at school that laughed 'cos you were riding what they perceived to be a "kids' bike"? How badly did they miss the point. The school headmaster getting excited that the football team had achieved number seven in the county, while you had to sit in silence, unacknowledged, even though you were banging elbows each weekend for a number-one-in-the-UK ranking in a sport that your headmaster had never heard of!

And speaking for myself, those two long years when my folks couldn't afford a bike for me. Then finally getting my brand new Raleigh Ultra Burner. I will never ever forget riding it out that first evening when we got it home. Very little since has even come close.

Or reading about your heroes in the magazines then seeing them in the queue for scrutineering (who remembers that?) at your first race.

Your first ever moto; your first ever main; your first ever trophy. That first knowing nod of acknowledgement from someone more experienced than you at the bottom of the start hill that told you you were now fast enough to be taken seriously.

BMX is so much more than radness alone!
ChrisCarter

Postby hudu » 23 Mar 2007, 23:30

How fast down that hill?

"Jumpers for goalposts"

:wink:
hudu

so true

Postby stephenfraser » 23 Mar 2007, 23:50

all of it so true.
Met an old mate last weekend Shaun who inspired the Nairn track and jumps we used to see who could wheelie the farthest along the sea front and we laughed so much when we both remembered his crash in the safeway carpark. He still thinks he had enough speed to clear the planks but the scars on his chin still show he didn't when he buried his face in the landing ramp....

it was something everyone enjoyed it didn't mater who u were, where u were from, what u had, wether u were first or last, the raddest or the crapiest as long as we were havin fun we just kept doing it..

I still do it and watch my kids do it and laugh when they walk up to me and am lyin in a heap and they say "DAD u should wear a lid"...

The only fear u have is fear itself keep jumpin...
trying to rebuild nairn track back to glory days get in touch the nairn boys are getting it together again.... and still have my zeronine with flights etc also 3 gooses just bought in the last 2 years still jumpin....
stephenfraser

Postby sinchy » 24 Mar 2007, 03:21

You guys are deep, i love it! There are so many things, the wheelie, skids, jumps, freedom, expression, families, being the odd one out etc and i agree.

Maybe the question should have been 'if its only one thing.... what is the one thing that is BMX to you?' Maybe its not that important but I think a very difficult question, for me after an argument with myself as you lot are tucked up in your beds its the 'tabletop'. Simple and classic yet still modern.
sinchy

Postby dh.com » 24 Mar 2007, 05:22

sinchy wrote:You guys are deep, i love it! There are so many things, the wheelie, skids, jumps, freedom, expression, families, being the odd one out etc and i agree.

Maybe the question should have been 'if its only one thing.... what is the one thing that is BMX to you?' Maybe its not that important but I think a very difficult question, for me after an argument with myself as you lot are tucked up in your beds its the 'tabletop'. Simple and classic yet still modern.

The true meaning off bmx to me Mr Lynch is getting sufficient sleep so i got the energy to get rad the next day. 4. 31 am posts? :lol:
dh.com

Postby BMX barf » 24 Mar 2007, 19:20

FRIENDSHIPS. ive met many great lads over the years, some, sadly no longer with us : i come on here to chat to old friends, guys who i shared a passion with, guys i really looked up to. what pleasure to watch dylan..sooooo smooth, geth, soooo cool and tom, tooooo nice (do you still have the long hair ) 8) my grandad used to take me and john to all the evening meets in the n.w. in the early 80's rain or shine and really, we were just playing out with our mates while racing (occasionally me and richard barrett would try to kill each other out on track, such was the rivalry) later on in years that rivalry was between me and big sean fields niether giving an inch! (i usually came off worse-i have the scars to prove). for us, the nationals were special, getting together with mates (remember "team bollox") and then going to europe (France 1990 was really special for me) all the lads larking about around the pool. all memories of a really speacial time....having fun with friends :D after watching the you tube footage of murry and all the other guys jumping about doing flips etc all i can say is WOW. bmx has evolved into something quite spectacular. bmx for me evolved from its roots in racing and that, for me is where the soul of bmx lies
BMX barf

Postby Russellcook » 05 Apr 2007, 18:11

I think the first time you jump a set of doubles or the first time you did an endow against a curb without smashing you face over the bars.

Hanging with great people and getting into trouble in different places
Russellcook

Re: The true meaning of BMX

Postby sinchy » 03 Mar 2009, 23:34

Ok bit of a re visit i know and yes the many quotes here made me realise that the 'true meaning' could never be summed up in one line or in a video as it sounds like it is a journey for everyone. Thanks to Stephen for the video and for pushing the limits (posted before accident). Maybe i coud try and sum it up in a few simple words 'bicycle moto-cross'. That might say it all.
sinchy

Postby jaybrown » 04 Mar 2009, 20:36

Geth's got most of it but I definitely add long summer days, all day riding with your mates, sun burnt arms and midges bites from too much time building jumps in the woods - happy days!
jaybrown

Postby COPEYSDAD » 05 Mar 2009, 12:17

BMX is what you wan't it to be.The fact that so many people consistantly post comments and replies on this site shows how wide a scope the title covers.Barf got the right lines (probably for the first time in years) by commenting on the "Family of BMX" - Friends (new and old) - opponets from accross the whole world - competative battles one minute and drunken stpor the next. Bring on Derby - can't wait to start again.

Riders Ready Pedals Ready oooooopppsss!

[quote][/quote]
COPEYSDAD

Next

Return to Old Skool